Let's See How This Goes

First things first I tell all the boys to go home, bouncers and bar tenders alike. As expected they object immediately, though for a variety of different resons, but I assure them that everything will be okay if they leave. I have to use my convincing skills to get them to leave, and, eventually, they do. Will and Carlos give me big hugs, with back pats and shoulder nudges and wiggling eyebrows, and somehow manage to chat with me for at least ten minutes before I remember that they should be gone. I swear, these two are the silliest jokers I've ever come across. They're the only jokers I've come across, actually, in a handful of years.

Sighing, I bid them a goodbye then take my place behind the bar. It feels odd being behind it but I suck it up and attempt to figure out what drink is what and where to find everything. Silently I salute Carlos and Will for working at the bar. They make it look much easier than it is.

Anxiety makes me sweat when the club opens and have to actually serve customers quickly and efficiently. I have a hard time keeping up and remembering who wanted what. Sometimes I can't even find what they want. There are so many different types of drinks and combinations of drinks that it almost makes me give up. How did Carlos and Will do it? Perhaps growing up free to explore alcohol and other things helped them. That was not my case.

I wait until one of the girls comes up to the bar to expose my shortcomings when it comes to liquor. Its Hel, and she laughs at me, then relaxes me when she offers to help me. I use the opportunity to tell her about the nights events, and am not surprised when she falters and spills alcohol on top of the bar while she's pouring. I give her a grave nod to tell her that I'm being truthful, and she gulps. She agrees to take over bar duties while I inform the other girls so no one is left out of the loop.

The girls react so similar that it's almost eerie. I have to inform them one by one, since their dance shifts vary, and they each pester me with questions that I can't answer. All I can give them are half hearted assurances that things will turn out okay if they just remain calm. In reality, I'm not actually sure how things will turn out. I have many gifts and abilities, but a Seer's telling of the future is not one of them. All I can do is try to make sure that everything turns out positive for us all.

When all the girls are aware of the upcoming situation I return to the bar with Hel. She gives me an unsure smile and squeezes my forearm, then shakes off her fears and starts directing me around so that we can serve the customers. I listen to her and try to take my mind of the cops. It works for the most part.

My mind is brought back to what's to come a few hours into my shift when Marv comes out of her office with Kit. I stand at attention as they slowly descend to the first floor, seemingly unconcerned. But I know what Marv feels, and she's damn nervous, almost a bit scared. I push her emotions aside so that I can be strong for her and watch her escort Kit out of the club. Marv remains outside for a few moments, making me wet my lips, but she soon returns and weaves her way through the club. I let out a breath of relief when she gives me a firm nod and walks back to her office, closing the door behind her. She's fine. I feel better knowing she's slightly more confident.

My eyes roam the bar once again, my spirits renewed. Patrons are enjoying their dances, giving money freely, while dancers entice those around the stages, definitely earning their keep. A few people go up to the private rooms with a pretty girl on their arm, and I listen in to make sure the girls are safe. The girls are clearly nervous and it's subtly effecting their work. When they look my way I smile at them to try and give off a calm air, but it doesn't work. I'm just as anxious as they are.

Breathing in, I find the air coated with so many emotions it's dizzying. Things feel wrong so I ask Hel for the time. She raises an eyebrow at me and throws up her hands. Right. She's barely wearing anything, much less a watch. Embarrassed, I ask a customer instead. He tells me it's half passed one then orders a beer. I give it to him, a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I could always sense danger, and right now things felt dangerous. Eyes scanning every corner of the club, I snatch the customers watch without getting caught and keep it in my hand, somehow thinking it could change things. Hel notices and whispers for me to relax. My body is shaking and my teeth are bared, ready for an attack. Hel whispers to me again, this time much more fiercely, but I only look down at the watch.