Pick One

Kit drops me off in front of the club and tells me to give Marv the good news. She would do it herself but she's tired and wants to get back to her place for some much needed rest, and to try to sleep away what she witnessed me do. Not highly concerned with Kit's mental state, I bid her a goodbye and walk into the club, greeting Ben at the door. He raises an eyebrow at my inside out shirt but doesn't comment on it.

Hands on hips, I take stock of the club. The place is still a little filled, even though there's only about an hour left until closing time. The few customers that are left are clearly drunk, or at least buzzed, and are catcalling at the dancers. The dancers are taking it in stride, still trying to squeeze every last penny out of them. I smile and wave at them, letting them know I'm back, as I make my way to Marv's office. I knock and am immediately granted entrance.

"How did it go?" Marv asks me curiously. She's seated behind her desk, tapping a pen on a pile of papers.

The soft pat of the papers being hit is a familiar rhythm to me. "We found the mole," I say. "I killed him. We got the name of the detective, too. Kit's guys are going to find him. She told me to tell you. She already left."

"Good," Marv sighs. She drops her pen and leans back in her chair, making it tilt the slightest. "I knew you could do it. I'm very pleased."

I smile goofily, my heart skipping, then pounding painfully against my ribs. She's pleased! My face heats and I can barely get my brain to focus. If I had a tail, it would be wagging something fierce.

"Why is your shirt inside out?" Marv asks, forcing me to pay attention.

"Oh, that." I'm still trying to form coherent thoughts, I'm so happy. "Blood. There was blood, so... I turned it... around." I'm breathless. Marv's simple words have that much of an effect on me. God, I just want to jump around and laugh.

Marv smirks at me and touches her finger to her lower lip. "You're really happy, aren't you?"

I nod furiously. "Yes, Mistress."

She chuckles and studies me, and my skin tingles under her gaze. "You've done good, but the clubs still open," she says, clearing her throat and shaking something away. "Nothing happened while you were gone but I still want you to keep an eye on the place."

"Of course." I don't want to leave, still feeling Marv's consuming words, but I nod and turn away. When I'm outside of her office, I sigh and shiver. My body is wired.

Too quickly, I jog down to the first floor, trying to get rid if some of my energy. The place has emptied a bit since I went up to Marv's office and the few scragglers that are left are looking to head out. I begin to pace in the almost empty club and wonder what else I can do. I probably won't be getting to sleep soon, or if I do, I'll dream of Marv.

Knees going weak, I sit down in front of one of the stages that's still being used. Nothing requires my attention so I figure it's okay if I just sit down for a minute to gather myself. I relax in my seat and let the slow music playing fill my ears. My heart calms the slightest but my leg jiggles to show that I'm still a bit pumped. I let it jiggle, knowing it'll eventually stop and I'll be normal again.

Wanting to occupy my mind with something else, I put the extra length of my chain on my lap and let it pool, then look up to the dancer on stage. At first I only see smooth legs, but then my eyes slide higher and I make out a familiar face.

It's Alice.

She's already noticed me and there's a bashful smile on her face. I smile up at her encouragingly but her eyes are elsewhere. Even from where I'm sitting I can see the faint red on her cheeks and neck. I never pegged her for the type to get embarrassed, especially considering her profession, but I had to admit that she looked cute. She was still confident enough to show off her body but her sheepish demeanor contradicted that confidence, and it gave the perception that the audience had power over her. It's wonderful.