Chapter 16

"Again?" Marcella huffs to herself as they pull up at the familiar building overlooking all the smaller skyscrapers and cafes.

Fred has been taking Marcella along to work with him and the boys for a few days to keep an eye on her and to also keep her entertained. Throughout this time, she has gotten close with Chris, Dylan, and Fred yet Tommy still distances himself. Neither the two of them are completely bothered by their lack of conversation as they both pretend the first few encounters were enough.

Although the trust between her and the rest of the boys is not stable, it is enough for her to stay at their home and eat their food. Marcella has used her winning privilege leniently knowing that she is not a princess here in Athery, yet they all seem helpful enough to her that even winning the game would not have made a difference in their treatment towards her.

It is busier than usual in the lobby of the building as Fred heads to the front desk to collect a visitor card for Marcella who begins to wander a little. Feeling a sudden urge to go pee she looks around the empty walls for any sign before it highlights in her sight.

After reliving herself, she exits from the corner she emerged from and walks aimlessly across the polished floor. Retracing her steps back to the reception desk she is intercepted by a hot, wet liquid dripping down her clothes.

Immediately pulling the scolding fabric away from her skin, Marcella lets out a low groan "You could watch where you are going" she says sassily not even bothering to look up at the culprit as she tries to cool down the coffee soaking into her shirt.

"I am so sorry; I can clean this for you" they continue to repeat frantically as the scared voice attempts to ease the situation by patting napkins onto the stain.

Marcella grabs onto the woman's wrist to refrain her from drying the stain herself taking the napkin from her hand. She clears the insults that compiled in her head and huffed out in defeat, dropping the hem of her shirt feeling the damp fabric now cooler against her skin.

"It's fine" Marcella finally states, but it does not seem to shift the attention of the woman who still has the half empty cup in her hand.

"Really? It must still be hot, I can run back and get you a new shirt to wear-" the woman around Fred's age, continues to ramble as Marcella finds a strange familiarity with her.

"I am fine, let us both make sure to look out next time" Marcella says with a light tone to calm the panicked stranger.

"Marcella?"

"Marcella"

Two voices, one panicked and one in disbelief makes Marcella's brain momentarily confused as she raises an eyebrow at the woman; ignoring the call of Fred in the distance as he struggles to make his way through the sea of people.

"How do you know my name?"

"I can't believe it!" Tears appear in the woman's eyes as she fumbles to hold Marcella's hand, but the princess quickly retracts them behind her back.

"How do you know my name?" Marcella repeats more firmly, slightly shocking the woman, "What is your name?"

"Hazel!"

Hazel and Marcella both turn their heads to see Fred approaching with a worried expression. He paces at speed standing in from of Hazel, creating a wall between her and Marcella.

"Fred, why didn-"

"Why are you here?" Hazel is cut off harshly as she seems taken aback.