Chapter 14

"Sorry, sorry" A soft call out from beneath Marcella makes her release her hold as she backs away reluctantly, sliding the metal hook back into her coat pocket.

Striding down the hill, Marcella holds her head high despite the haunting memories resurfacing and the frightened expression emerging along her features. She hardens her face when hurried footsteps skid beside her but does not spare them a glance.

"Are you okay?"

Marcella slows her pace by the unusual question, recognising her role in the situation, she wonders why they would ask about her wellbeing in the time of her being the attacker. To satisfy they silence she replies with a soft hum and continues to stroll at a slower pace.

"Fred, unsurprisingly, isn't mad he hardly ever is honestly," Chris says sincerely as he attempts to alleviate any of Marcella's worries, "I really like your bracelet" he says randomly to divert the topic.

"Thank you, it was a gift"

"Why a carrot?" After a silent reply Chris lets out an awkward cough and tries to talk about something else, "Did you like the beach?"

"Yes, I have never been to one before"

"You've never been to the beach?!" Chris comically questions, "Maybe we can convince Fred to take us somewhere else you've never been before tomorrow" he says with a gleaming smile.

Taking a look behind him, Chris notices the others making their way to the end of the hill as the two stand awkwardly by the car. The air is stifling as Tommy, Dylan and Fred approach making the three young men share nervous looks to each other.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you up there" Fred tells Marcella until she gives a small nod in recognition.

"I apologise too for my reckless reflexes"

Marcella quickly ducks again after hearing *clicking* emerge repeatedly from the surrounding area making her ears twitch. Spotting a long lens pointed at her, Marcella's eyes widen at it resembles the dark hollow barrel of Elias' gun.

"Not the paparazzi" Tommy complains as they all rush into the car, with smiling faces and a displeased thought.

Marcella quickly scurries inside slamming the door a bit too hard as the car shakes lightly from the impact. She slides down the seat and peers strategically out the window with the metal hook edging from her pocket. Her body jolts forward as Fred begins driving away making her scramble back up and look out of the rear window to spot a middle aged man frantically chasing the car with a camera in hand.

"That is going to be one headline tomorrow" Tommy says to Fred from the passenger seat.

"I will sort something out when we get back, I wonder if they followed us all the way out here?" Fred deliberates with himself.

"I wouldn't be surprised are you sure keeping her with us is a good idea?" Tommy whispers the last part in the silent car.

Fred does not reply but instead speeds up back to the house. Marcella walks inside lifeless as the little expression she had fades away. This world seems surreal to her the more she is exposed to the surprising nature of things.

Still shaken up by the sudden thought of Elias now appearing out of nowhere, Marcella prays to herself that the four men who have taken her in are willing to keep her in the apparent safety of their home. She nibbles on her bottom lip debating all her options and coming at multiple dead ends to each of her plans.

"I think you should just post a photo or message online mentioning her" Chris suggests through Marcy's puzzled thoughts making her head shoot up in their direction.