Chapter 10

Everyone blinks in the room cluelessly as an awkward silence invades their privacy. Chris lets out an embarrassing cough, backing away from Marcella whilst scratching he back of his head.

"You really like dropping food on the floor, don't you" Tommy says to relieve some tension as Chris scrambles to retrieve the fallen items he neglected when he entered the room.

Feeling small in the presence of three men in a strange place, Marcella balls the fabric of the hospital gown in her fists as her eyes flicker back and forth between them and the door. Even the softest creak of the door makes her jump and land her feet on the cold laminated floor.

Marcella winces in pain as the sting of her leg shoots up her body and the cuts on the bottom of her feet begin to reopen. Everyone flinches forward but are stopped when an older man quickly approaches the young princess and helps her regain her balance.

"I'm Fredrick" a middle aged man says sending a sincere smile as he helps her back onto the bed once he feels Marcy relax.

"I'm Dylan" the shorter boy introduces himself showing off his bright smile, contrasting with his dark clothing.

"Um- Hi I'm Tommy" Marcella tenses up again seeing the boy her sword was raised up against speak as he sends an uneasy wave her way.

"And I'm Chris" his shy voice capturing Marcy's attention as she struggles to comprehend her situation.

They each introduce themselves whilst Fred places the containers of food onto the bedside table along with a bottle of water. Marcy stares at the packaged food in curiosity but does not say a word and instead returns her gaze to the scenery out of the window.

Hearing whispers and rustling, Marcella turns back blankly looks at the four men until her stomach rumbles loudly spreading a red hue across her cheeks. Fred hands her an unwrapped sandwich which she keeps held in her hand.

"We'll just leave you to eat" Dylan says before they all make their way out the room.

"Where did this come from?" Marcella's groggy voice surprises the boys as they turn around in shock.

"Excuse me?"

"Take a bite" Marcy orders sternly with her hand outstretched, motioning for one of them to eat.

"Huh?" Dylan, Tommy, and Chris say in union as Fred swiftly takes the other half of the sandwich and finishes every last crumb whilst Marcy watched carefully.

After a few seconds Marcella begins eating her half, smiling in content at the feeling of her stomach being satisfied and getting full. The hunger takes over Marcella's brain as she stuffs as much as she can inside her mouth making her cheeks puff out.

Marcy releases a delightful sigh once all the food has been cleared, rubbing her stomach happily. Her legs swing from the edge of the bed as she observes the cuts and bruises on her feet.

"Where am I?" Marcy's quiet voice breaks up the small huddle of boys.

"At the hospital" Chris says plainly.

"Hospital?" She mutters under her breath, "Where is the palace?"

"Palace?"

"Yes, I must get back there" Marcy says in a hurry as she stabilises herself off the bed whilst all the boys stare with worried eyes at the determinism behind the girl's voice.

"I'll go get a doctor" Dylan suggests in concern.

"I don't think that is necessary" Fred quickly cuts in.