Chapter 3

Flashing lights, the smell of foul odour, and a surprisingly odd sight of carrots in the state of blurry vision captivates Marcella's senses as she toss and turns restlessly. The last two years proved extremely difficult for Marcy and her sleep. Disruptive dreams and hallucinations follow more frequently with her every move puzzling her brain. The only peace is when she dwells on the simple yet harmonic melody that plays her to sleep every night and fills the empty silence of a room in her head. Occasionally, her family and Esther would catch onto Marcy humming idly along to herself but would question no further.

A hasty knock interrupts the gentle song repeating in Marcy's head as she furrows her eyebrows together and curls into a tight ball, burying herself under the soft sheets, holding a pillow over her head to drown out the loud noise.

"Your Highness," a soothing voice appears from the corner of the room, "MARCY!"

Instantly her head shoots up, squinting at the sudden brightness and dizziness attacking her senses. As her vision clears up, she is greeted by a shadow leaping onto her bed. "Eric! It's too early" Marcella groans and attempts to shove her younger brother away as he rolls over, taking up most of the bed.

"I have waited 10 minutes already for you to get up for breakfast"

"Did you eat already?" Marcy asks with a hint of hurt.

"No, mum wouldn't let me" Eric lets out a humph in defeat.

"Okay, okay, I'm coming" Marcella surrenders being dragged out of bed.

After a bit of negotiation, Marcella was able to change before heading out to breakfast almost losing her arm as Eric drags her down the hallway. She combs her dishevelled hair with her free hand, disregarding the dumbfounded looks on the guards as she gave them a sheepish smile in return.

"Sorry for our tardiness" Marcella announces once the doors open.

"OUR tardiness?!" Eric shakes his head distancing himself from Marcy as their parents laugh at their children's young behaviour.

"That's enough let's all sit down and eat now" Stephen proposes calling his son and daughter to join him at the table.

An unsettling atmosphere lingers in the room as Eric and his parents communicate with their eyes, trying to go unnoticed by Marcella. Harshly, a cup falls into its saucer washing the tea up the side splashing back inside avoiding any spillage on the table. All eyes divert in Marcella's direction watching as her face relaxes making everyone else tense up.

"Are you all speaking bad about me?" Marcy jokes, but grows serious after the long silence which follows, "What is it?"

"Honey let's discuss it later tonight or else these two will be late to their lesson with Esther" Stephen hastily speaks before Anastasia could say anything.

Marcella falls quiet motioning subtly at Eric who avoids her advances causing a sharp kick to his leg as he hisses in pain and shoots a sharp glare over to her. Before anything more could escalate their father interrupts. "Shall I ask Esther to add an hour onto your lesson for every minute you two are late?"

Marcella and Eric rush out of their seats and swiftly leave finally entering the library with 30 seconds to spare. They both collapse onto the chair staring up at the ornately painted ceiling with gold embellishments climbing down the bookcases.

"Some things never change" Esther mutters, emerging from behind a stack of books.

Out of all odds, combined between the three of them all the books in the library would have been opened at least once. Opened, not necessarily read. Pages may have met the dusty air but never the mind of Marcella or Eric.