8. Now You See Me Now You Don't

Song for Chapter: Tennis Courts - Lorde (Flume Remix)

****
"Thanks for coming out Jessie." Zayn came only minutes after Harry left.
For the first thirty minutes of our date I was sure that Zayn would bring up seeing Harry but nothing came up, and I wasn't going to.

"No problem." He takes his hand in mine as we drive to the movie theatre bumps of electricity roll throw my body with every second that passes with my hand in Zayn's. This is who I should like. Zayn is the good guy.

"So what happened last night after I left you with Harry?" He looks across his small BMW towards the passenger side that I am in. Does he know? My heart starts to race and my hands begin to feel clammy instantly making me let go of Zayn's hands and running them through my hair.

"We had an argument then half way through the night he woke me up and kissed me; for a long time." My mouth starts to quiver as the truth tumbles from my lips.

"Ha, ha, ha! Very funny Jessie! So what movie do you want to see?"

"What?"

"What movie do you want to see?" My jaw drops at his stupidity. He really thought I was just joking. His hand returns back to mine and I turn my head towards the window letting the guilt subside. At least I tried to tell him.

As Zayn talks about everything I stare out into the sky watching birds fly above. I can't help but try to decipher what Harry was saying. A labyrinth, John Green, mazes, birds, lost, liking Zayn. It was all to much of a mess to comprehend, but maybe I am the stupid one. Maybe I should understand but just don't, either way I can't keep myself from thinking about him.

"We're here!" He pulls into the parking lot and we step out of the car our hands rejoining as we walking into the movie theatre. His hand lets go of mine and finds my back as he pays for my ticket.

"You didn't have to pay Zayn."

"I wanted too." Knowing that I had enough money to buy this theatre I still smile at his small gesture. "What would you like?" We stop at the concession stand.

"Popcorn -"

"Extra butter with a sprite. No ice."

"Have you been stalking me?" I take the popcorn and drink from the cashier as Zayn pays.

"No but you look like a girl who doesn't care about what she eats -" I hit his arm and pout.

"Zayn Malik are you calling me fat!"

"No- no! Jesus! I meant your a real girl."

"Do you usually date dolls?"

"Jesus, no! I mean you don't care what people think of you. Your confident , I like that."

"... and the drink."

"You had a cup of sprite at the party but skipped out on the ice."

"So you have been stalking me."

"Observing."

"You've redeemed yourself. You're now at a -2." He throws his fist up in the air signifying his success and I laugh.

"Come on now. Don't make me change my mind." I say as we walk into theatre 13.

****
This movie is horrible. It's been a mere 45 minutes and there has been 4 car chases, a sex scene and a lot of shooting and swearing. I'm not sure what Zayn is trying to make me watch but It still makes me laugh to see how excited he gets. He grabs my hand at every action sequence sometimes even throwing his popcorn.
As I look at him instead of the movie I can see who he is. The small dip in his chin, the high cheek bones, his now shaped jaw after freshly shaving, his light eyes alert and excited. In the spur of the moment I lean across and kiss the corner of his mouth. I see him instantly stiffen.
I turn back to face the movie, playing a game with him as If i never kissed him. I can feel him eyeing me but I don't budge my eyes glued to the screen. He leans back into his seat again a smile plastered on his face. He sets his popcorn down on the empty seat next to him and places his hand in on my leg, slowly drawing circles that create my stomach to tighten.