This Girl Is On Fire

The following weeks were amazing in terms of my career. I was breaking records left and right, there were all kinds of companies sending me gifts and samples of clothing, shoes, makeup, handbags. Some members of my team and I had dinner one night on the rooftop at one of the finest restaurants in New York City. I was on the cover of Rolling Stone and I did a couple photo shoots and the stills turned out unbelievable! My new single Girl On Fire was constantly on the radio and I felt sexy and confident. I was fortunate enough to perform an entire concert right there in Times Square! I was blessed.

Inside though, my heart was hurting. I had not spoken to Marshall in three weeks. I failed to realize that the things I said in that interview would be the demise to our relationship. He was probably hanging out with Skylar right now. Whatever, it's for the best. If Marshall is that unsure of our relationship and did not trust my character by now, he never will. I was heartbroken, but I tried to hide my bitterness through album sales and phony smiles. It was a dream to achieve this level of success, but it felt like something was missing. I had no one to share it with.

Antonio had visited with Nevaeh twice so far and it was super awkward. I could tell she was nervous around him and he didn't know what to talk to her about. He had explained that the first visit he had gotten stuck in traffic or some lame excuse. I did not question his alibi even though I thought it was bullshit. If he really wanted to meet his daughter, he would go to the ends of the earth.

Marshall POV

It was October 17 as I sat in my office at the label still depressed. I had watched RayLynn's concert in Times Square about 4 times on YouTube. She looked great. Beautiful, so full of life. I can't believe I fucked up my chance with this girl. At least it was fun while it lasted. I heard footsteps coming down the hall and stop outside my office.

"Yo Marshall!" Denaun knocked on the door.

"It's open." I answered, my voice sounding wearisome.

He opened it and walked in.

"Why you working on your birthday man? Shouldn't you be celebrating with the girls and with Ray? She flying out tonight or something?" He questioned.

"I'm seeing the girls later tonight. And, no, RayLynn is not flying out. She never wants to see me again." I gave a lifeless explanation.

"I noticed you weren't talking about her as much, but I just thought she was busy with the album. What happened? You two were so in love." Denaun pulled up a chair.

I looked him in the eye, "I got jealous about some dumb shit, called her out her name. Plus, I yelled at her for saying we were a couple on some talk show."

Denaun sighed in disapproving disbelief, "First of all, I don't think she ever actually said you guys was together and second, who the fuck wouldn't want RayLynn Knight telling the world you're her man? Have you seen her this week on the cover of Rolling Stone? She's fucking hot!"

"I know, I'm happy for her. She should just enjoy her success without me."

"You talking stupid man. You two are a power couple. You should make it right, call her up to say congratulations or some shit." We dapped up before he left. "Anyway, happy birthday Marshall."

"Thanks man."

I sat there a bit longer watching RayLynn on the screen singing her heart out. I missed kissing her, I missed how her hair always smelled so sweet, I missed how she scrunched her nose up when I made her laugh really hard, and I loved it. Mostly, I miss the feeling I got whenever I was with her. Ray is a good person and she made me feel good about myself too. She made me feel like the most handsome, talented, intelligent guy in the world. RayLynn was the first woman that was proud of me and maybe that is why I scared her away. It's awesome, but it also makes me feel vulnerable.

After work, I had a fun birthday dinner and cake with my daughters. When I blew out the candles, I wished for RayLynn to come back into my life. I haven't called her because she has a lot of exciting things going on right now and I don't want to bother her. I'm sure she wants nothing to do with me, Ray can have any man she wants. I can't help thinking about all the little special moments we've shared. We only hung out for six months, but I told that girl shit I've never told anyone and I know she has told me things about herself that nobody knows as well.

Kim had picked up my daughters and I sat quietly by my lonesome when the ding of my phone broke the silence. I longed for it to be Ray. I wanted to tell her how embarrassed I was and that I felt terrible about how I treated her. To my dismay, it was not RayLynn, but it was a groupie girl who I had known from before. She was the floozy I used to fool around with before I fell in love.

Kandy: Happy Birthday Baby!!

M: Thanks!

K: Why don't I come over to wish you a happy birthday? LOL

I didn't really wanna hang out with Kandy. She always smelled cheap and wore too much makeup, but it had been almost a month since I talked to Ray. She wasn't coming back, and I needed to blow off some steam.

M: K. sounds good.

I sat there waiting for my groupie whore and thought about Ray. We should be celebrating right now, looking in each other's eyes, joking around with her, holding her body against me. What if she already moved on? What if she's in bed right this moment with somebody else? Ray isn't into casual sex, which would mean she already found a new relationship and that hurt even worse.

I was saved by the bell when Kandy arrived at my door. She wore tight jeans with a neon pink tank top and matching spiky pink pumps. She looked hot, but she looked cheap. Normally, I would be all over those skintight jeans, but tonight I was kinda disgusted. Ray would never dress like that. RayLynn was classy in public but would dress sexy for only my eyes. It was something special just between us. There were so many things that were special and just between us. Kandy tried to break the silence and interrupt me from daydreaming of my love.

"Happy birthday." Kandy whispered as she started kissing on my neck.

When she made her way to my lips, I ducked the kiss and pushed her head down.

"Oh, straight to business tonight." She made her way to her knees and cackled.

I hated her annoying laugh; it was loud and irritating. Ray has the cutest, soothing little giggle. It drives me crazy; I live for making that girl laugh. I love seeing her happy.

My phone started ringing in my pocket, which was strange because it was so late at night. Kandy was still fumbling around with my fly which was good because I couldn't even get my dick hard. I was too busy feeling that I was betraying RayLynn. I moved away from Kandy to take the call.

Paul spoke seriously on the other end, "Marshall, sorry it's late. I know you usually don't fuck with computer shit, so I wanted to let you know you have an email from Ray. She just sent it today, so it's probably to tell you happy birthday, but there's some files attached. I think she sent you some songs."

"Thanks Paul!" I said desperately before I hung up. "Yo, you gotta get out of here, I got shit I gotta take care of!" I ordered Kandy, pulling her up from the floor to hurry her out.

"What the hell Marshall? I wanna fuck!"

"Get out! If you don't leave, I'll have my security remove you."

"Fine. Fuck you Marshall!" She slammed the door.

Whatever, fuck that girl. I had to go see what my RayLynn sent me. I was so excited as I ran downstairs to my office and opened the laptop. Even if it was bad, at least she was thinking about me. I signed in and found it! In the subject line it said, "I love you Marshall."