I'm Coming Home

I survived the twelve-hour flight from Japan to JFK airport sleeping most of the way and arrived in New York in the morning. Kyra took Nevaeh to my place in the city so they could visit some family while I would be recording at Rick Rubin's place in upstate New York for the next few days. I walked into the studio and was immediately greeted by Marshall and Rick.

"Hey, what's up RayLynn?' Rick shouted.

Marshall practically leapt from his place at the soundboard and walked briskly over to me taking me in his arms. He picked me up for a few steps to make our way out of the studio and closed the door. We stood there in the hallway kissing frantically.

"I missed the shit out of you!" He said when we came up for air.

"I missed you too!" I smiled and squeezed him in a cozy embrace.

A few more kisses and then we made our way back into the room.

"I didn't realize you two were so friendly." Rick laughed.

"She's aight." Em made eye contact with me as he said it and I wanted to burst out in laughter, but I kept it professional.

"Ok, ya know that song we did together the other week?" I asked as I removed my jacket and took a seat.

"Of course."

"I changed it."

"You changed it? Why?" Marshall asked.

"Well, we can keep the first version, but I made another verse to it." I stepped into the booth.

Rick recorded me and both men were super impressed.

"Baby, that's amazing." Marshall told me when I finished. "I've been working on a lot of shit too."

We both took out dozens of scribbles that we'd both been working on simultaneously for the past month and began to piece them together. Rick played some beats for Marshall and he chose one and began to rap to it.

"Think you can lay the hook?" Marshall asked.

"Of course." I answered. "Give me an hour."

I picked some lyrics that I was most proud of and used the guitar in the corner along with the soundboard to mix it. It didn't take long because I was so excited to be working with Marshall again and I wanted to give him my absolute best. When I finished, Rick and Marshall were no longer in the room, so I had to go out to find them.

"Finished!"

They both followed me back into the studio and I played it for them, and we immediately recorded it. Until the afternoon was over, we had recorded three songs. My phone rang and I knew it couldn't be Marshall because he was seated right next to me.

"It's my mother." I said and excused myself to take the collect call.

She basically just asked for money on her books and wanted me to get her out of there. I told her my hands were tied. She held a convenient store up at gunpoint, it's a miracle my lawyer was able to get it down to 2 years. The conversation was a waste of my time. I have nothing to say to her. When I walked back in the studio, Marshall was tinkering with the soundboard all by himself.

"Everything good?" He asked.

"Yeah." I sighed.

"Hey, you wanna do something tonight?"

I gave him a sneaky stare.

"You asking me out on a date Marshall Mathers?"

"Yeah, as a matter of fact I am." He looked me in the eye.