chapter 2

Penelope Rhodes

I couldn't get him out of my head. His look, his scent, his eyes. He was all I could think about and I hated him for it. During every class he invaded my thoughts so much that when my last class of the day was dismissed, I didn't even realize.

I went home straight away to work on some homework because I knew that on Wednesdays, Hayden didn't get done with class until 6 and it's only 3:30 now. I know I skipped breakfast and in the heat of the whole Luke thing I never got lunch, but I really wasn't very hungry so I shrugged off the idea of a snack and walked into my bedroom.

It was a small yet cozy little room. I had my full sized bed over in the corner and my walls were a gold color with fairy lights and lanterns hanging above my bed, my polaroid pictures dangling off of them. I had a window seat since my room had the biggest window in the house and it was nice and comfortable to sit and do homework on. I had deep garnet sheets with white fuzzy pillows and accents of gold here and there and a white fuzzy blanket on the end of my bed. On the wall my bed was pushed against, there was a mural of the New York Skyline and Brooklyn Bridge on it. On the other wall, there was a framed picture of me with the cast of 'Grey's Anatomy' which makes my heart sing every time I look at it and my desk in the corner with all my books and school stuff, including my printer.

My Mac was right on my bed so I grabbed it and started doing my homework when I heard a knock on the door. I scrunched my eyebrows because if it was Hayden she would've just walked in and we weren't expecting visitors. Maybe Hay just forgot or lost her keys? I sighed and got off my comfy bed and walked to the front door.

I opened it and my eyes almost fell out of my head when I saw who it was.

"So, Penelope Rhodes... cute name, baby. You have a nice place," Luke commented as if we had been friends for years.

"How do you know my name? Wait, how do you know where I live?" I asked, terrified of him and all he was capable of.

"Aren't you going to let me in? C'mon, be a good little hostess," He sassed me as I realized he was still waiting outside my door. Before I could answer, he walked right past me into my living room and sat on the couch.

"Are you going to tell me how you found out all of this stuff and why you're here?" I asked him yet again.

"Oh, baby. I have my ways. Don't ever question me... oh and you should really tell your ex-boyfriend not to give your personal information out," he smirked as my phone vibrated with a text from an unknown number no doubt being Luke. My heart stopped when he mentioned Austin.

"How do you know him?" I questioned him very quietly, so low he almost didn't hear me. I cowered in my seat knowing that Austin would do this to me. As if he already hadn't done enough.

"You know, he's actually such a great guy. I'm not really sure why you dumped hi- oh sorry I forgot, he dumped you," He tormented, his harsh words cutting through me like a knife. What an ass.

"Stop it," I told him but it wasn't very convincing since it was so small and timid.

"Or what, Penelope? You gonna stop me with your super high gpa? Please," He scoffed.

He was right. I was the shy, innocent, good girl and he was the dangerous, flirty, bad boy. I had nothing over him but it seems that he has tons over me.

"So, when Austin was telling me everything earlier today I know he told me why he dumped you but I just can't seem to remember," He smirked at me letting me know that he fully remembered and just wants to see me squirm. His long fingers were tapping his plump lips as he tried to remember.

All of the memories and nightmares came flooding back to me as I remembered it all. I was caught in the past and couldn't seem to find a way out of it. I remembered the fights, the abuse, the alcohol he forced me to drink... everything. The therapy I attended this past summer after what he did.

A single tear ran down my face and I looked at Luke to find him surprisingly not smirking anymore, but pained.

"Is this what you wanted? Because congratulations, you've succeeded," I sobbed, standing up.

"No, no, Penelope, baby, I'm so sorry I didn't mean to make you cry I'm so sorry," He started reaching toward me but I pushed him back, knowing it was all an act to break me... again.

"Get out! And don't call me 'baby' you ass," I told him in between my sobs.

He turned on his heel and without a second look, walked out my front door as swiftly as he walked in 30 minutes ago, although this time, his head hung just a little as if he actually felt bad for me.

Well I don't need his pity, and I most certainly don't need him or his attitude that's for sure.