Fights

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: FIGHTS

     Claire didn't know what to think. What about Alley? Would she be okay? How would her pregnancy go? Will putting the kid up for adoption be hard? Wait- what if she keeps her baby?

     Then, Claire thought of that text and how they were the only ones on that road and how there hadn't been other houses or anything near them. Was that deer real or fake? Who was Unknown? How would she act around Avery, her love who was a jerk? 

     And where did she stand with Daren? She had been terrible, but that kiss! Should she ignore him or act all lovey-dovey, or pretend nothing at all happened and not speak of it? Decisions!

     "Claire." Ms.Unie called role. Claire yelled back in response.

     "Beep!" The loud school intercom squeeked.

     "I need Claire Briggs and Daren Owens to the office please. Claire Briggs and Daren Owens." The office said. Claire's heart dropped. Why did she need to go to the office? What did she do? And why did Daren need to come? And since he was going to the office also, it couldn't be for student council because he wasn't on stu-co. What would she do or say to him? Ignore, admire, or pretend nothing at all happened when so much did?

     A few obnoxious boys made siren sounds as she walked out of the classroom, and she felt really jittery and nervous. But why? She didn't do anything wrong and Daren liked her. So why did she have a terrible feeling?

     Claire walked past Carter's home room, and remembered Carter wasn't here today. Alley was taking a big test in some class in the opposite wing of the school. Why was she so nervous?

     Claire let out a long sigh as she opened the office door. Uh- oh. Daren was sitting in the lobby waiting for the princible's office.Would Claire be sitting there too? But what did Claire do? What did Daren do? Claire sat down slowly next to Daren.

     "Hey! So, how you?" Daren asked casually. Claire noticed that if he were playing it cool, so would she.

     "I'm good. Why are we here?" Claire tried to sound normal, but her voice was shaking. Claire never got nervous just to speak to the principle! Why now?

     "Some girl got murdered. We are in for questioning." Daren explained. Claire's jaw dropped.

     "Murdered?" Claire repeated in shock. ''Who?"

     "Who murdered her? Well, they don't know. That is why we are in for questioning." Daren translated for her.

     "No, who was murdered?. But why are we being questioned? I'm the best student in the school. I can't be a suspect." Claire shook her head in disbelief.

     Daren shrugged. "Ammie. I know. You may not be a suspect, I don't know. But they probably just are wondering if you knew anything about her. Weird that they chose us of all people. Together." He added, and studied Claire's unreadable expression.

     "Yeah, weird..."

     Suddenly, the principle's door swung open. A lady stood instead of a priciple.

     "I'll see you now." She announced. "I'm FBI agent Dabria. Have a seat." The lady didn't smile and sat down in the priciple's chair. Startled, Clarie sat down.

     "FBI agent?" She breathed, and glanced around nervously. "I didn't ever talk to Ammie. Sorry. Can I please go back to class?"

     "No, you cannot. We don't need to ask questions." Agent Dabria frowned.