Chapter 34

Lacey woke up the next morning, body humming in a good way. A small grin came to her lips and gave off a sigh before burying her face in the pillow she cuddled. Something warm touched a bare shoulder, traveling up and over the curve to the neck area. The grin widened before she turned over to look Zabuza in the eye.

"Good morning to you too," she mumbled. The dancer rubbed away any lingering sleep from her eyes.

The young man bent down, capturing Lacey's lips passionately. Her fingers tangled in his hair to pull him closer. Unfortunately, it ended too soon for her liking. "I need to head out," he muttered against his partner's lips.

Sighing heavily, her eyes opened to watch him. "I knew you were going to say that..." Lacey whispered.

"I'll be back soon."

"You have to promise me something."

"I don't do promises."

Her arms wrapped around his neck tightly. "Just don't get yourself killed... Please..."

"I know you don't like Gato, but I'll be fine."

"It's not that I think you're incapable of handling this mission. I don't trust our client him..."

He knew. And the rogue didn't trust him either. Zabuza chuckled before kissing Lacey again. "I know. But like I said, I'll be back soon."

He rolled out of bed to pull back on his clothes and retrieve the sword from the corner of the room.

"I will lock up behind us. Stay here. Don't go wandering off. Don't open the door for anything. Got it?"

"Don't worry, I'll right here."

"In bed all day?" he teased. He leaned over to press a long kiss against her lips. "Now that is something I wouldn't mind coming home to."

Lacey blushed, which made the young man grin before he finally departed. Haku waited in the living room, watching the grin leave his lips and slip into the mindset of a rogue prepared to complete a mission.

"I take it you had a pleasant night," Haku smirked.

Zabuza shook his head and motioned for his partner to follow. "Eventful," he merely answered.

Good. Haku always knew the two of them were good for one another. Both had been too stubborn to admit it though. Even if she said 'I love you' in a dazed state. Even if he did everything to protect her from harm. Even if he nearly lost it when they thought she died in the tunnels. It was about time.

When Lacey heard the rogues lock the door behind them, the dancer got up from the bed to dress. Despite what Zabuza wished to come back to, she needed to shower and eat. Her muscles ached in protest when she went to pull on her pants. Then the young woman dragged his tank top she discarded nearby. A quick look around showed that her shirt was nowhere to be found somehow.

Once freshening up, Lacey found a note in the kitchen. Haku made breakfast, the leftovers in the fridge. He said to not worry about them; that everything would work out just fine. Like any other mission. Now that they knew what to expect, they'd handle the Leaf Ninjas just fine. However, Lacey couldn't help but do the opposite of what he asked. She'd only be calm once they were back home with her, safe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gato was angry, yelling at the rouges who were 'not following orders'. Having enough of the man's complaining, Zabuza crushed the earpiece. It'd do this their way. Be more effective. "Haku. You ready?" the young man questioned. They were just below the bridge, having used a stolen boat to come right up under the workers at the top.