Chapter 31

The rogue stared at the dancer across the room with pinched brows as she browsed through the books on the shelf. "She hasn't said a damn word since you got back," he muttered. The young man's attention turned on Haku, who was looking around the kitchen for something to cook.

"So then ask what's bothering her," he said.

"I was asking you."

His eyes rolled. "Just because I train Lacey most of the time and we're usually working together on missions does not mean I can read her mind, Zabuza. Besides, it would probably do you some good to actually ask for once instead of trying to ignore it. Because we all know it annoys you to no end."

Growling, the ninja stood, walking towards the window where Lacey stopped at, flipping through a book to see if it was of interest. "Hey."

She yelped in surprise, clutching the object to her chest tightly and causing him to smirk under the facial wrappings. The dancer tried to compose herself and the fact that she was trying to play it off like it didn't just amuse him. "Sorry..." she muttered, opening the book again.

Glancing back over at Haku, who made a hand motion for him to continue, the young man rolled his eyes. "What's wrong with you?"

There was a moment of silence, Lacey turning a page. "Nothing's wrong."

"Bullshit. You haven't said a word since you got back from scouting."

"I don't always have to talk, Zabuza."

"But you don't try and isolate yourself when something isn't wrong either."

The young woman blinked in surprise, not conscious of the fact that he was aware of her actions and mannerisms. Closing the book Lacey looked the rogue in the eye. "There are people starving in Wave Country."

"And?"

"And it's because of Gato. He has complete control over everything they do and they aren't thriving. He doesn't want them to, they are dying."

"Every dictator does this in order to break people so they turn loyal. Only when they start cooperating will they begin to prosper."

"But it isn't right."

Zabuza stepped closer, speaking under his breath so the brothers on the other side of the room didn't overhear. "Do you honestly think Yupa managed to control an entire town by asking nicely? No, he was a rogue and threats were made, and people died."

"I'm not saying I don't believe it didn't happen. I'm only saying that what Gato is doing is wrong. He doesn't want these people to follow him. He wants them below him, while his thugs stand at his side. Gato doesn't want to share with these people."

"What would you have me do?"

"Not trust our client. He doesn't want to rule these people like Yupa does. He wants to crush them."

"And what makes you think I will allow our client to get away with shoving us off like the villagers?"

"Gato doesn't strike me as someone who would keep his word. And loves his money enough to not want to share. Haku and I saw some of his thugs in town and they really are at the bottom of the food chain."

"Cheap help. Then why hire us?" He tested her now, to see how much her observational skills had grown. And the young man was actually interested in what she had to say.

"Because their skills aren't enough to get rid of this threat. He doesn't want them to be sloppy and give Tazuna a chance to escape."

"And what makes you assume all of this about Gato?"