Chapter 3. Abandoned Shrine

At this point in life Zhou Zishu was not in the least concerned about anything —

he was familiar with courting death, after all; so the fisherman’s vulgarity all fell on deaf ears.

The boat calmly sailed across the water.

On the other side of the river, a young woman called out melodiously,

“Selling water chestnuts! Do you want some?” It was as if time had slowed down with the river flow to a sluggish speed.

Even if I die right here, it’ll be worth it, Zhou Zishu mused.

The idea had crossed him before — back when he was in the middle of climbing the Mountain of Immortals in Penglai.

But then he remembered that he hadn’t visited Jiangnan and all of its natural beauty; so down south he had gone and again had the thought resurfaced at this place.

An unknown emotion surged up inside him. He bit into the dry and hard pie, trying his hardest to chew and swallow.

Then he tilted his head side to side in
contemplation; he was done travelling through Jiangnan, but there were still the three famous and five sacred mountains to see, stopping here would be a great pity.

Because of that, all thoughts about dying here were dropped.

All of a sudden, as if choked on his own saliva, the fisherman stopped swearing. He bent down, head inclined to a vague direction, unblinking.

Zhou Zishu was intrigued, so he stuck his head out from inside the boat’s deck to follow the old man’s gaze.

He saw him scrutinizing two people walking by the river bank — they were the good-looking man in gray and the pretty young lady in purple he met back at the tavern.

The fisherman might be old but he was exceptionally perceptive, and when taking a closer look at him, one could see protruding
temples under unruly hair; thick, strong hands and corded muscles.

It wasvery clear there was more to him than met the eye.The pair whom old man was watching was definitely not ordinary either,seeing that they made him this on guard.

The pretty girl was vivacious, but she would walk a few metersbehind theman without fail, never once overstepping her boundary.

A glance was enough for Zhou Zishu to know that this girl was either amaid or a concubine; she might have a bit of a wicked streak with a beauty
he greatly appreciated, but at the end she already belonged to someone else,so he stopped thinking too much about it and withdrew his gaze, turning hisattention back to tackling the dry hard pie.

It was jianghu after all; ambiguity was one of its staples. If the royal courtwas a battleground for fame and power, jianghu was a battleground
between white and black.

Though some were unable to understand this, andtook the title of a wandering hero too seriously even until they died.

But how would all this concern an incessantly ravenous homeless man likehim anyway?

Zhou Zishu felt somewhat bored after the fisherman had stopped cursing, sohe goaded, “Hey old man, this pie lacks a bit of flavor. I don’t mind whetherit’s bad or fine salt, so you should’ve at least put some in.”

The other got furious again, “How are you still talking shit with that muchfood stuffed in your mouth? You greedy little shit, gonna starve you forthree days, see how you will complain then…”

The moment he opened his mouth, his words were a never-ending stream.

Zhou Zishu smiled, eating his pie with more vigor, feeling a littleshameless.