THIRTEEN

"Her name is Megin," Thor begins. "She's nine, very sweet girl. Megin can create these sort of shields that can contain things and stop things from hitting something. She can also blow things up-"

"Like she did at the New Mexico base," Natasha interrupts.

"She is quite a bit younger than Loki and I."

"What else can you tell us about her?" Steve asks.

"I'm not really sure what to say. We aren't close." Thor responds.

"How about why she might be doing this? Why is she helping Loki?" Steve asks.

"I don't know. Loki has always had a soft spot for her. She has always gravitated towards Loki, I guess."

"You guess? Earth is at stake here. I know that might not be a big deal to a god but to the 7.1 billion humans on Earth, it is!" Snaps Fury.

"Why did she gravitate towards Loki?" Natasha asks.

"Umm.. well..."

"Spit it out." Director Fury says impatiently.

"I never really gave Megin the time of day. Neither did my parents. Loki went out of his way to try and make her happy. I just pushed her aside. My father was always busy and my mother never gave Megin the attention she gave to me and Loki."

"So the reason that Megin is helping Loki is that she had a crappy childhood?" Steve asks.

"There has to be than that," Banner says.

"It's more than a crappy childhood. She's missing love in her life. If Loki is truly the only one who gives her attention, what if he promised her more? What if Loki promised her people who would love her?" Natasha reasons.

"It makes sense," Director Fury says, "he promises to give her the one thing she doesn't have."

"But why would Loki let us take him. He can't control his sister if he's not with her and he's not leading an army from here," Steve says.

"I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats, you could smell crazy on him. We should foc-" Banner starts.

"Have care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard, and he's my brother." Thor says harshly.

"He killed eighty people in a few days," Natahsa states.

"He's adopted."

"What's your excuse for your sister than?" Banner questions.

"She's just a child!"

"She killed more than eighty people in few days. We are searching through the wreckage of the base she destroyed. Plus the street she blew up. I would estimate she's killed a hundred minimum," Natasha says. Thor scowls.

"So Loki has an army? From outer space?" Steve questions.

"I think that he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for," Banner responds.

"Selvig?" Thor asks.

"He's an astrophysicist," Banner answers.

"He's a friend," Thor says.

"Loki has him under some kind of spell, along with one of ours." Natasha says.

"Iridium, what did they need the Iridium for?" Banner asks. Tony walks in with Agent Coulson.

"It's a stabilizing agent," Tony informs the group. Turning to Agent Coulson, he says "I'll fly you there. Keep the love alive. Means the portal won't collapse on itself, like it did at Shield." He then turns to Thor. "No hard feelings, Point Break. You've got a mean swing." He smirks. "Also, it means the portal can open as wide, and stay open as long, as Loki wants. The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. Only major component he still needs is a power source. A high energy density, something to kick start the cube."

"When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics?" Agent Hill asks Tony, skeptical.

"Last night. The packet, Selvig's notes, the Extraction Theory papers. Am I the only one who did the reading?"

"Does Loki need any particular kind of power source?" Steve asks.

"He's got to heat the cube to a hundred and twenty million Kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier." Banner answers.

"Unless, Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunneling effect." Tony responds.

"Well, if he could do that he could achieve Heavy Ion Fusion at any reactor on the planet." Everyone looks at the two, confused, while they have their moment.

"Finally, someone who speaks English." Tony says happily. "It's good to meet you, Dr. Banner. You're work on anti-electron collisions is unparalleled. And I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster." Banner looks down.

"Thanks..."

"Dr. Banner is only here to track the cube. I was hoping you might join him." Director Fury joins in.

"Let's start with that stick of his. It may be magical, but it works an awful lot like a Hydra weapon." Steve says.

"I don't know about that, but it is powered by the cube. And I'd like to know how Loki used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his personal flying monkeys." Director Fury looks to Banner and Tony for an answer. Neither respond.

"Monkeys? I do not understand." Thor asks, puzzled.

"I do! I understood that reference." Steve says proudly. Tony rolls his eyes.

"Shall we play, doctor?" Tony asks Banner.

"Let's play some." Banner responds.