ONE

Out in the New Mexico desert, a remote research facility is in a state of panic. People in suits run with briefcases and boxes. Orders are being given over a speaker system, alarms are blaring, the facility is evacuating.

A man stands waiting at a landing pad. He watches as the helicopter lands before him. Two people exit, a man and a woman. They are wearing all black. The man wears an eye patch. He speaks first.

"How bad is it?" The man with an eyepatch says.

"That's the problem, sir. We don't know." Says the first.

The first man leads the way through the chaotic building.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago," the first man informed the others.

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase," the man with an eyepatch begins. The first man quickly responds.

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement."

"It just turned itself on?" The woman questions, speaking for the first time since their arrival.

"What are the energy levels now?" The eyepatch man questions.

"Climbing," the first man responds, "When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evacuation."

"How long to get everyone out?"

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour," the first man responds quickly.

"Do better."

The three walk briskly and silently for a few minutes while chaos continues around them. The closer they get to their destination, the more disarray there seems to be.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile," the woman finally says.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" The eyepatch man counters.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance."

"I need you to make sure that Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out," eyepatch man says.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" The woman asks.

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 2 on a truck and gone."

"Yes, sir," the woman responds. She leaves.

The two men enter a lab. A blue cube is surrounded by metal. It is glowing unusually bright and flare rings shoot out at random.

"Talk to me, doctor" the man with the eyepatch says.

The doctor emerges from behind the CMS machine. He looks very concerned.

"Director," he responds. The eyepatch man, the director, looks at him, impatiently waiting for more. When the doctor doesn't respond after a second, he speaks.

"Is there anything we know for certain?"

"Tesseract is misbehaving," the doctor responds. The director does not look impressed.

"Is that supposed to be funny?" He asks, his voice quite serious.

"No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she's...misbehaving," Dr. Selvig responds.

"How soon until you pull the plug?"

"She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level--"

"We've prepared for this, doctor. Harnessing energy from space."

"We don't have the harness. Our calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, radiation. Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation," the doctor says.

"That can be harmful. Where's Barton?" The director responds.

"The Hawk? Up in his nest, as usual." The doctor doesn't look up from his work as he says this.

"Agent Barton, report." The director says into his earpiece.

A man rappels down from the catwalk. He walks over to the director. They walk away and speak quietly. Their attention returns to the Tesseract when another doctor speaks.

"Doctor, it's spiking again."

The Tesseract thunders and shakes the entire facility. The flaring rings and glow of the cube spout out brighter and louder. The Tesseract's energy builds up into a beam. The beam fires the tesseract energy. A portal is forming. It looks like a black hole in space. Men approach with weapons. A light flashes.