𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞 (𝟏𝟖)

no warnings :)

Layla stood outside the door. Her breath was heavy and her body ached. Her knuckles were bruised and her side stung. She felt terrible from head to toe. Not only from her fight, but from distress too. Annie reminded her of the terrible fault she had done a while back. It was something only her and Annie knew.

Before Layla went to the scout regiment, she worked for Kenny Ackerman. Kenny told her that if she kidnapped and killed Levi Ackerman, he would be able to bring back her brother. Kenny never told her about his relationship with Levi. She just guessed he was a distant cousin. She didn't care about their relationship, anyway. She was just interested in his idea.

Layla was, at first, hesitant to do the job. She knew Levi was one of the strongest soldiers to ever exist. Kenny was manipulative, though. He told Layla that she was more than strong enough to kill Levi. Layla had no choice but to trust him. All she ever wanted was her brother back.

Layla wasn't the only one that worked for Kenny at the time. Annie did also. Kenny told Annie to accompany Layla in her mission. She would have to follow Layla's lead and was instructed to do what Layla told her.

Kenny trusted Layla enough to do the right thing. He knew how it felt to lose a sibling. Surely, Layla would do anything to save hers. So, she did. She tried, anyway. 

Layla left for her mission and the only thing that continued to cross her mind was her brother. But, she couldn't kill Levi. It wasn't that she didn't want to. She didn't believe she could. When Layla watched him fight, she was amazed by his skills. After being with the scouts and seeing their ways, she realized that she was meant to fight for her brother. Not kill for her brother.

Annie was pissed. She personally didn't care for Layla's vendetta. She was simply following the orders Kenny gave her. Help Layla kill Levi. Period. Unfortunately, she was also told to follow Layla's orders. And so she did. Layla wanted to stay with the scouts, so Annie stayed with the scouts.

Clearly, this didn't work. Annie hated working under Kenny, so of course, she would hate working under the scouts. She knew better than to riot against Kenny. He would leave her for dead without a second thought. So, she figured she would try to overthrow the scouts. They wouldn't kill her. She would be able to crystalize and find a new option.

When Layla first slept with Levi, deep down, she felt terrible. Her mission was to kill him and now, she was nearly in love with him. If Annie ever told anyone, not only would she for sure lose her future captain position, but she would lose Levi forever.

Layla would be locked up and hated by everyone.

She was shaking and sweating outside of that cell. She thought that burden had left forever. She would never even think about hurting Levi anymore, but no one would know that.

"Layla?" Levi placed his hand on Layla's shoulder and she immediately turned around to face him.

"Levi." She stammered and shoved the cell key into her back pocket. Her hands were shaky as she looked at the man she was first set to kill. Layla never thought she would have to face Levi with the thought of death again, but Annie had refreshed her mind and she was now terrified.

"Are you good? Are you okay?" Levi crinkled his nose and cocked his head as he tried to read her. He knew she wouldn't be her normal self after she fought Annie. She was angry and hostile, but she was different now.

"Uh." Layla's voice was shaky and she could feel her cheeks getting hot. She had been nervous before, obviously, but nothing compared to this.

"Layla. Just calm down, okay? No one's mad at you. We're all very thankful, actually." Levi assured her and grabbed her hands.