𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐨 (𝟐𝟎)

this is a super short chapter but its definitely needed before i write and post the next chapters... 

thats all im gonna say... enjoy !

"What?" Layla gave him an unfocused gaze and pulled her eyebrows together in confusion. She was surprised to say the least. 

"I love you, Layla." He repeated confidently. "I never thought I would hear those words leave my mouth again, but I love you. I just need you to know that before tomorrow."

"I love you, Levi." They both turned to their side to face each other. The two of them stared into one another's eyes. They wouldn't admit it, but they were terrified for whatever would come. Levi couldn't deal with losing Layla. He had lost so much already. He had gotten used to his friends dying. Especially after he found their dead bodies. He knew he would never let himself get attached again, but Layla changed that. He couldn't help how he felt about her. He was in love. He wanted her to know that just in case anything happened.

"Nothing will happen tomorrow. We're gonna beat Annie and our lives will be back to normal. Don't worry." Layla cupped the side of his face and brought it close to hers. "I promise." She pressed her forehead against his.

"Don't promise something you can't prove, Layla. I know you're strong, no doubt. I just have a bad feeling." Levi grabbed her hand and removed it from his face. He kissed it and rubbed her knuckles with his thumb.

"I'll be fine. You'll be fine. We'll all be fine. I'm gonna be back in this room tomorrow. We're gonna shower together and laugh that you even thought this. We're gonna have a nice sleep, just as we will tonight." Layla locked her fingers with his and gave him a sincere smile. The look in Levi's eyes completely broke her heart. She could tell how hurt he had been in the past. She really didn't want to hurt him.

"If you're not next to me tomorrow night, I won't be able to sleep." Levi said with no hesitation as he gave her a vacant stare.

"You'll sleep perfectly fine, because I'll be there with you. Now come on." Layla stood up from the bed, reaching for her pants.

"Where are we going?" Levi sat up and watched her as he raised his eyebrow.

"We're gonna go see the stars. We'll be too tired to see them tomorrow." She giggled and began putting her pants on. Levi smiled and shook his head. If anyone knew how to brighten his mood, it was Layla.

"Let's do it." Levi got up and picked up Layla as she screamed. He threw her over his shoulder and walked towards the door. His clothes were left in his office. He threw Layla on the couch. She was a laughing mess. She held her stomach as she watched Levi.

"I'm not gonna lie, Levi. You're getting bigger." Layla admitted as she looked Levi up and down. Levi stepped back in confusion as he put his pants on.

"I didn't know my dick could get bigger. Nice to know." He looked at his crotch and chuckled.

"Levi! I meant you are getting taller! You've grown an inch in height." She said, putting an emphasis on the word 'height'. "You fucking moron. Oh my god." Layla shook her and rubbed her temples.

"You should've been more specific!" Levi raised his voice and threw his hands in the air. They were both full of laughter. The thought of tomorrow didn't even cross their minds.

"Let's go." Layla caught her breath and grabbed Levi's hand.

"Do you really think I'm getting taller though?" Levi looked down at her and asked curiously as he lowered his voice.

"No. I was lying. Lets go." Layla joked and pulled him into the hallway.

"Dammit." Levi mumbled under his breath. He couldn't lie. He got a little excited. All his cadets had passed him in height.

The two of them left the headquarters and made their way to an open field. The only light available were the stars and the moon. They sat down on the fluffy grass together. Layla sat with her legs crossed in front of her and so did Levi. They sat in silence for a while. The night sky was such a welcoming sight. The occasional twinkles behind the dark velvet sky made them imagine a hopeful future for one another.

"Whenever we didn't talk," Levi began to speak and Layla turned her head to look at him, "I used to tell the stars about you."

"What do you mean?" Layla asked and cocked her head.

"I had no one to talk to. No one knew about us. I used to tell the stars how good you looked. How amazing you trained that day. How I wished I could just hold and squeeze you in my arms. Everything." Levi removed his gaze from Layla's eyes and focused them on the stars.

"You'll never have to do that again. I'll never leave you." Layla laid on her back and pulled Levi down with her. They grabbed each other's hands at their sides.

"I hope for that every single day." Levi squeezed her hand and shook his head slightly. He didn't want to add another person to his nightmares.

"Did you not see how I beat the fuck out of Annie? You shouldn't be worried about anything." Layla turned her head and smiled at Levi, hoping to lighten up the mood.

"I can't lie. It was badass." Levi gave her a smirk and winked at her.

"I was just so surprised to see her there. It was completely random. And she tried to shoot me?! Out of all people?! I graduated best soldier.. and she came at me? What a dumbass." Layla ranted and rolled her eyes just thinking about Annie. She thought about the comment she made about her 'secret' and became even more frustrated. Layla let Annie get in her head and she hated herself for it.

"How's your side by the way? I saw it when you took your shirt off. It looks bad." Levi reminded himself of the bullet that Annie grazed her.

"It looks worse than it feels. I wrapped with an ace bandage but it wouldn't stay on. I think it looks kinda cool." Layla lifted her shirt up to observe the round.

"I could kill her for hurting you like that." Levi sat up to look at the damage to her side. He touched around it and looked for her reaction. He knew she couldn't handle it. She flinched a bit and hissed.

"You and me both." Layla pulled her shirt down and took one more glance at the sky.

"We should go. We need rest." Layla admitted as she got up. Levi agreed and they both headed back to his room. Their last two nights had been nothing but adventures and they both enjoyed it.

The two of them made it to the room. They took showers and Levi helped Layla with her side. He ran cold water over it and applied an antibiotic. Layla occasionally cursed at him when Levi replied 'hold still or it'll never get better'. They made their way to bed and Layla laid down first, ready for Levi to take his position.

"Come on, handsome." Layla smiled and held her arms out. Levi smiled and laid on her chest as he does every night. They both began to close their eyes.

"Sleep well, handsome. I love you." Layla kissed the top of his head and fell asleep.

"I love you, Layla. I really do." Levi answered her but all he heard was her snores in response. He hoped this wouldn't be his last peaceful night. 

eat, sleep, and drink water <3