𝐢 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 (𝟐𝟖)

no warnings 

Layla finished the meal she was given in the cafeteria. Cafeteria food never tasted so good. She was used to slop from Kenny that was barely edible. She took her time as she ate, hoping Levi would change his mind about putting her in the cell. She still wasn't sure why he was doing it anyway. Kenny was dead and it was clear she hated Zeke. Why would Layla continue to work for the people she despised so much?

There was no way Levi was putting her in a cell for the reason he said he was. It just didn't make sense. She for sure thought it was for a totally different reason. He was probably mad because she never came back the night of battle. Or maybe he was mad that her brother was one of the enemies. Maybe he really hated her for not coming back to him. She made so many promises to him. Of course she felt bad, but she didn't belong in confinement. Not again. Not after being trapped and tortured for weeks. She wasn't strong mentally or physically, but she wouldn't let Levi throw her in a cell after all she'd been through. Being rude and ruthless was unnecessary. She loved him, but she wouldn't go down without a fight.

She pushed her plate aside, more than ready to confront Levi as she walked to his office. Nothing on her mind but confusion and rage, she stood in front of his door, ready to open it until she heard Erwin's voice.

"Levi! You can not do that to her!" Erwin screamed from behind the door. Layla could hear the anger in his voice.

"This is my mission. I run this, Erwin! You can't tell me what I can and can not do!" Levi banged his desk, causing Layla to jump. She still wasn't used to loud noises.

"Your mission is over, Levi. We saved Layla and I am now in charge. Even if I wasn't, I would not let you put her in a confined area after she spends weeks in one already. You're absolutely delusional." Erwin responded to him. Layla was taken back by his sincerity. Erwin, surprisingly, understood Layla more than anyone else.

Getting frustrated with Erwin and Levi's bickering, Layla opened the door, hoping it would shut them up and it did. Levi stood behind his desk, face red as ever with his sleeves rolled up and his hands in the air. Erwin stood in front of his desk with the same condition. The argument was more intense than Layla thought.

"I'm sorry, Layla, if we were too loud." Erwin immediately walked up to her and placed his hand on her shoulder. In a way, he felt bad when he first saw Layla walk from the shed. She was covered in bruises and marks and he felt that he was at fault. After all, he was the one who told Levi not to look for her in the first place.

"It's okay." Layla looked up at Erwin, reassuring his behavior.

"Are you ready, Danford?" Levi walked from behind his desk, approaching Layla at a fast pace, hoping Erwin couldn't interrupt and put in his opinion on the matter.

"She's not going anywhere, Levi. If I see her in the cells tomorrow morning, I'll throw you in along with her. Simple." Erwin rubbed Layla's shoulder softly and began walking to the door. "This is ridiculous, Levi. After all she's been through you cant even give her the time of day?"

"Erwin, I swear to-" Levi got cut off by Erwin slamming the door and leaving the office before he could finish his sentence.

"You can leave." Levi rolled his eyes and stared Layla right in her eyes. He looked hurt. He looked beat down and tired. As Layla looked back into his eyes, she realized Levi wasn't mad at her. He was sad.

"I'm not leaving." Layla whispered, slowly approaching Levi. She just couldn't get over his eyes. His broken eyes. He had a rough past, and you could tell just by looking into them. They told a story no one understood but Layla. He lost so much but never told anyone. All Layla wanted to know was his past. Just something to reassure him she wasn't the enemy as he thought she was.