𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧 (𝟐𝟕)

no warnings

There was a loud boom just as Zeke raised his gun.

And just like that.

It was all over.

Layla closed her eyes and flinched at the sound of the loud gun. Although he was pissed, Levi squeezed Layla's body, shielding her from whatever bullet was flying through the air at the moment. Layla wrapped her arms around Levi's toned body. By the time they opened their eyes, they figured one of them would be lying on the ground dead, but to their advantage, Zeke's gun fell to the ground along with his body. Eren and Jean's figure was revealed as Zeke fell to the ground. They came just in time. Jean stood there, gun in his hand, staring in awe as he saw his brittle best friend holding onto Levi's body for dear life. The loud boom came from Jean's gun. He shot Zeke as soon as he looked threatening.

"Layla." Eren spoke softly, a single tear falling from his eye. Strands of his hair had fallen in front of his face as the rest was pulled into a loose bun. It was clear he hadn't slept in days as his eye bags were prominent. His hands were shaky as he slowly held his arms out for Layla to run into them.

"Eren." Layla responded. That was the only word she could find. The whole world was frozen as she found his fierce, green eyes growing in the darkness. The eyes she thought she would never see again. She never thought she would see her bestfriends again, and there they were, saving her. Levi let go of Layla as she ran into Eren's arms. She wrapped her arms around his waist and squeezed his torso with the last bit of strength she had.

"God, I'm so happy to see your face." Eren placed a soft kiss on the top of her head as he wrapped his arms around her neck. Layla buried her face in his chest. All she could do was sob. She dreamed of this day for so long, thinking that it would never happen.

"You're okay. You're okay. We got you." Eren repeated multiple times as he wrapped around her tighter.

"Hello?! I just saved you. Can I get a hug?" Jean threw his hands in the air as he watched Eren and Layla. It was also clear he hadn't slept for a while. The mullet he was growing had about two extra inches from the last time she saw him. His eyes were puffy and hair was matted. He was so stressed.

"Thank you, Jean." Layla stated simply as she left Eren for Jean.

"That's what he gets. He was probably scared to face me after he bailed on our fight. What a loser, honestly." Jean scoffed and joked around, trying his best to brighten the mood. It would usually work, but Layla was too shocked and traumatized. Jean brought her in for a hug. "At least he's dead now." He added.

"He's not dead and this is not the end." Levi bluntly stated as he pulled Layla by her arm.

"Levi?" Layla looked into his emotionless eyes, wondering what changed him.

"It's captain to you. Did you just forget what Kenny told me? You were sent to kill me. I can't trust you. You're not off the hook, Danford." It was hard for him to say after pouring his heart and soul into finding the love of his life, but the one thing Levi hated most was disloyalty. He wasn't sure if he could still trust her.

"What are you talking about?" Jean raised his eyebrow and pointed to Levi. Damn, did he know how to brighten the mood.

"Let's go. Eren, grab Zeke. He's not dead as he can still heal. Alert the other soldiers that we got Layla and to head back to the headquarters." Levi stated before he pulled Layla through the field with a tight grip on her arm.

"Levi-"

"It's Captain to you. Do you not understand?" Levi grabbed Layla by both of her arms and squeezed them as hard as he could. His eyes stared into hers with a deadly glare. He was so frustrated with her. The love that he had for her was so unreal and out of this world, only to be betrayed by her actions in the long run completely broke his heart. The amount of time and effort he put into loving her and taking care of her was all for nothing. Her motives were unknown to him and that was terrifying. Of course, he had not fallen out of love with her, but he was truly and utterly heartbroken. He couldn't take it.