Chapter 25

Yeji

After paying the driver, I get out of the cab in front of the vaguely familiar place. It's a little scary being alone at night in a different neighborhood, which is why I almost have a heart attack when someone steps out from the doorway to the apartment building.

"Holy fuck Jimin-ssi, you scared me! Why are you just hiding in the dark like that?" I gasp, clutching at my chest.

"I'm sorry, I really wasn't trying to startle you," he laughs at my dramatic reaction. "I was waiting to make sure you got here alright," he explains.

I smile a little. I don't think I'll ever get used to how it feels to have someone looking out for me.

"Where's Haein?" I ask when I realize that my brother isn't with him.

"He's passed out in my bed. He tired himself out running around my place," he chuckles, opening the door for me.

"Sorry, I hope he wasn't too much trouble," I grimace a little. Haein has a lot of energy so he's a little difficult to manage at times.

"I had a lot of fun with him, don't worry," Jimin reassures me with a smile.

However, once we step into the elevator, his smile drops and he turns to look at me with a quizzical face.

"Did you go to a party?" he asks suddenly.

My eyes widen in surprise and I feel my neck burning at being caught in a lie.

"Y-yeah, how did you know?" I ask, confused.

"I can smell the alcohol on you," he says with a slight smirk. At least he doesn't seem really mad about it. But still I don't want him to misunderstand.

"I swear I didn't drink anything! Someone just spilled on me," I say, pulling at my shirt to show him. He glances down at the wet patch, but then I swear I feel his gaze scan a little lower too.

"Did you lie about going to dinner then too? Because I saved some food for you to take home, but you can eat it now if you want," he offers as we walk down the hall to his door.

"I did eat, that wasn't a lie," I say defensively. "But I'm hungry now too," I admit, making him laugh.

"Make yourself at home, I'll be back in a second," he says after unlocking his door.

Unlike last time, I actually take my shoes off and move further inside. I watch as he goes into his room quietly, trying not to wake Haein. Then I turn my attention to his living room. I can see a lot more than I could from the doorway.

First I check out the books sitting on his shelf. Most of the titles are familiar and a few are even some of my favorite, but some are books I've never heard of. Then I wander over to the keyboard he has tucked against one wall. My eyes scan the sheet music that is sitting on top. The song is called Promise, but I don't recognize it. I hear Jimin walk back into the space and turn to face him.

"What is this song from?" I ask.

"Oh, uh... I made it," he answers shyly.

"Really?" My jaw drops in awe a little.

"Yeah, it's not that big of a deal. Namjoon-hyung helped me a lot," he mumbles modestly. I'm still impressed though. I always thought making music was so cool. Maybe some day I'll ask him to play it for me. 

"Anyways, here," he changes the topic, handing me a folded shirt. "It's probably uncomfortable wearing a sticky shirt," he adds as explanation.

"Ah, thanks," I smile awkwardly. I'm going to wear his shirt? I feel excited and embarrassed at the same time, neither of which makes much sense.