Chapter 8: Unexpected

Eryn POV

            Wes turned on the radio, and I sang whatever came on. It wasn’t much more than that.

****

            We sat in a big booth, and I was wedged between Wes and Joven, who was like my big brother. He’s gotten pretty protective over me in the past few days.

            I ordered a sweet iced tea, and we’d just ordered food. “So Eryn and Wes, how’s it going?” Mari asked out of the blue. Uh-oh, she has a mischievous glint in her eye. “Fine. Eryn’s doing great. She’s an awesome editor,” Wes said happily. “Thanks, Wes.” I picked up my drink to take a sip, and saw Wes doing the same thing. “No, I mean you’re relationship. How’s the new couple?” Mari said.

My eyes popped. I started coughing, and ended up getting the tea down the wrong pipe. I swallowed and coughed harder. I heard more coughing from Wes. He did the same thing as I did. Joven’s hand clapped me on the back, just as Wes stopped his coughing fit. “Thanks, Jovie,” I said. He nodded, looking concerned.

Wes cleared his throat. “Couple?” he asked Mari. She rolled her eyes. “You’ve been letting her ride in your car-” I cut her off, “I don’t have a car.” But she continued. “You work together a lot, you know each other really well, and sometimes you do the same thing at the same time. And the way you look at each other sometimes…” Mari’s voice trails off.

            My eyes widened, and I reached for another sip of tea. I heard movement beside me, and I saw, like me, Wes had his cup in hand, and was taking little sips. I flicked my eyes away when I realized he was looking at me too, and blushed. Then we set our drinks down at the same time.

“Well, that’s too bad. You’d be really cute together,” she muses. Wes clears his throat.

           #AwkwardMoment.

           Then food came, hooray! No more awkwardness! Yay!