Chapter 3: Heart Tug

Eryn POV

I've answered quite a few questions, and I hope I got them right. Wes's questions were the most serious. But, there were a few goofy ones like Lasercorn's. I mean come on, 'What's your favorite thing to blow up in a video game?' Really, Lasercorn?

"Okay, one more question. This one's kinda silly, but we'll find out eventually if you come to work here. Do you have any hidden talents, or anything different about you?" Wes asked. I looked up in thought. Would it be safe... to tell them about my eyes? I wondered. Wes is right, they'll find out eventually.

"I play piano, drums, guitar, violin, clarinet, trumpet, flute... I'm really good with animals, especially cats and dogs. I know self-defense, and I'm really flexible. And... can the difference-thing be physical?" I added the last part in a small voice. My eyes could mess this whole thing up. "Yeah. Why not?" Mari replied. I pulled my chair closer to the table, and closed my eyes. With a shaking hand, I pushed my long bangs away from my eye, and opened them.

Keeping my eyes downcast, I eventually looked up. My eyes landed on everyone in the room, and then I let my bangs fall back into place.

The room is silent. No one talks, and no one moves. My heart begins to beat even faster, if that's even possible, as I wait for the insults. They always come.

"They're-" Someone starts, but Wes cuts them off. "They're beautiful. Different. It's like they have their own personality. Like the moon and rays of sun. Or Fall and Winter. Why do you keep the silver one covered?" I was taken aback by that. No one had complemented my eyes since I was a twelve. My eyes began to water, but I forced the tears back. A childhood friend of mine complemented my eyes the same way.

Eryn, don't be ashamed by your eyes! They're beautiful, just like you. Like the moon and the sun, Fall and Winter. They're part of who you are, and you are beautiful. Don't be afraid, she had told me.

"The last time someone said something like that was when I was little. She said the same thing," I whispered. They looked at me expectantly, as if waiting for me to go on. "She said the same thing. When I was seven, a girl found me sitting by a tree. I called her Kale. We started talking, and we became friends. I was in the orphanage then, and they didn't have a school. She would teach me about what she learned, and later, I showed her my eyes," I paused for a breath, holding back more tears, "She loved them. We stayed friends, until we turned twelve. Then said she was moving. I knew her parents wouldn't take me, so I had to let her go."

My eyes stayed down. I looked up. "She was the best friend I ever had. I hope to change that someday," I said. I sucked in a breath. Maybe, they'll let me in. Not because of pity, but of skill and experience. "Well Eryn, I think I speak for us all when I say; Welcome to Smosh Games. You're what we need, and want," Joven says. My heart skips a beat.

I'm in Smosh Games?

"I-Uh-Um-What?" I stare at Joven, eyes wide, mouth agape. My co-workers/bosses start laughing. "You're in. You're hired. Welcome to Smosh Games," Ian laughs. "Err..."

"Speechless? That's a first," Lasercorn says, his brown eyes sparkling mischievously. "I-uh- didn't think I'd get in..." I said, finally finding my voice. "Why?" Wes asks me. "Well, I figured there'd be tons of other people who wanted the job-" Wes cuts me off, "It's not just wanting the job; it's having the skills to do it. You've got the skills."

And, I'm speechless again. "Let's give you a tour," Anthony offered. I nodded.

****

After the tour, Wes, Joven, Mari, and Ian situated me in my new office. Wes told me he would have the assignment on my desk tomorrow morning. I would be assisting him with editing.

Now, I'm in the recording room, admiring all the recording things. Then I saw the piano. Well, it can't hurt to play a little song... I thought. Besides, they did tell me to make myself at home. And it's just a piano, it's not like I'll be recording.

I decided on Titanium by David Guetta and Sia. I love that song.

My fingers skipped over each key, hitting the correct ones.

I guess I'm kind of like this song.

You shout it out, but I can't hear a word you say; all the insults about me and my eyes.

I'm talking loud, not saying much; I try to talk with confidence, but I never say much.

I'm criticized, but all your bullets ricochet; the insults hurt, but I tried not to let them get to me.

You shoot me down, but I get up; People always said I would fail at life. Look at me now; I've been through college, and I've got a job!

I'm bullet proof, nothing to lose, fire away, fire away, ricochet, you take your aim, fire away, fire away; the insults don't hurt anymore. Let them come. Take aim for my weakest spot, I've got literally nothing to lose.

You shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium; try and get me down. I won't be harmed anymore, I'm strong, and I can take care of myself.

Cut me down, but it's you who have further to fall; try and put me down. You're just trying to make yourself feel better.

Ghost town, and haunted love; I'm alone, and though unloved, strong.

Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones, I'm talking loud, not saying much; you can yell, but it doesn't matter. You can break me, but wounds heal.

I'm bullet proof, nothing to lose, fire away, fire away, ricochet, you take your aim, fire away, fire away.

You shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium! Shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium!

Stone hard, machine gun, firing at the ones who run; I'm strong, aim your insults well, I will not run anymore.

Stone hard, as bullet proof glass; I'm strong, and I'm immune to insults now.

You shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium, shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium.

Shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium, shoot me down, I won't fall, I am titanium, you shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium!

I finished the song, just as I noticed a noise coming from just outside.