Chapter 18

The words repetitively ring in my ears as if I'm in a room with a speaker only playing one dialogue on it over and over again. 'Jack is your brother.'  

My eyes widen, practically falling out of their sockets as my eyebrows rest on my scalp. A million questions dazzle my mind. How is he my brother? Why have i never met him? Does he know Lilah? How the hell is he in the mafia?

My insides cringe, throw up, and gag continuously as I keep repeating the statement I forced Alexander to say. 'Jack is your brother'

"Huh?" is all I say. What am I supposed to say to that if I know he is not going to answer any of my questions?

 "Oh hell no, your going to have to say more than that." Alex probs with a bewildered face.

"Alex, what? How-" I croak out. "I know, Cora." He interupts, awkwardly patting my shoulder. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" I laugh out, confused at where my emotions are going. "What?! I'm not good with this shit; someone will be crying and i'll be over at the corner just staring at them." He raises both his hands up in surrender.

"If you want, we can talk about this tomorrow, how about you just take in everything right now, yes?" He offers, with pleading eyes. "Okay." I sigh. 

We make our way back to the shithole as I do exactly what Alex told me to do; digest it all in. 

"Wait a goddamn minute, this also makes me Russian, oh my." I note. "Umm, yeah about that..." Alex starts, rubbing his hand on the back of his neck. I let out a long sigh, ready for this next clue about my life. 

yay! fun little game...

"He's your... umm... step brother?" He flashes me a weak smile with jazz hands.

 "The fuck... you mean I had a stepdad?" I remark. "Yeah, looks about that way." He nods. "Okay great, let me just digest this in too, yeah?" I sigh.

Alex's car drives up to the gates as the guards push them open, allowing for our entrance.

I make my way out, once again squinting from the sun as I bring my hand to my forehead while Alex already looked prepared with his Ray Bans. We make our way downstairs without saying a word to each other, silently absorbing the energy that clung to us from the car. 

The dripping of the water alerts my ears as my eyes dart around to see no one but us in the dark, grey cell. 

"Here." Alex proceeds closer to me as he gently pulls of the fake beard. 

He leans recklessly close to my ear. "You can keep the clothes." A smirk plays on his lips as he moves his head back.

"Umm... thank you, Alex... For this." I mutter. "Oh, not a problem at all m'lady." He grips my hands in his as he kisses the back of it, bowing his head low. My face starts burning as I feel the red colour seep in. "Oh and before I leave for my departure, here you go miss." A smirk stretches the corner of his lips. 

He hands me my phone, now charged. "I charged it in the car, your welcome." He closes his eyes, waiting for the appreciation.

"Um yeah thanks." I croak out. "You can call him... I have a habit, I don't snitch; learnt it in the mafia, try breaking oméreta and you'll be dead... literally." He swipes his thumb across his neck, sticking his tongue out. My lips let out a small laugh. "Take care, be back tomorrow." He slips away from my sight. 

I stare, looking down at the phone in my hand, not being sure of what to do. This guy, he has so much trust in me... why? 

I push the button on the phone, turning it on. I go into my contacts and click 'the shit in my toilet i forgot to flush'.

aka michael's

My throat gulp down a nervous lump as my shaky fingers click the phone icon. The vibration of the rings fill the cell as I hold the phone close to my ear, closing my eyes.

He answers after the third ring. "Ciao?" His raspy voice enters my ear. I take a deep breath in. "Hey, Michael. Umm-"

 "Cora?" He interupts. "Hi I-" I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Where the fuck are you?" He cuts in.

"I really don't know where I am, but yeah umm... can you come get me?" I pick at my nails.

 "Where are you? that fucker set up multiple routes all over the place as to where he took you, so it's going to take some time." I could feel his rage from the phone, so I try to help.

"Um if this helps, there is a McDonalds near where I am?" I speak into the phone.

 "Miss. Evans, there are McDonalds everywhere, but please keep your mouth shut until I find you." If he was trying to be nice, he wasn't.

I was disturbed from my conversation with Michael when I heard footsteps approaching. "Oh look, who gave you this wonderful phone, Cora?" 

Jack enters my sight. 

oh shit.

He steps into the cell, aiming closer to me with his arms crossed. "Hello?" Michael keeps talking into the phone. "Who is that?"

 "Umm-" I start.

Jack snatches the phone from my hands, smashing it down on the concrete ground as the glass shards dart across the floor, and looks back up at me. 

"Who gave you this phone?" He growls at me with his hands by his side, anger boiling in his eyes. "I had it this entire time." I remark. "Stop fucking lying, you bitch. We took it off of you." His voice drops an octave. "Well, you clearly didn-"

My head jerks to the side as I feel a sharp stinging sensation on my face. My cheek starts burning as I feel the red colour soak in.  His hands moves away from my face, back to his side. 

I inhale a long deep breath, trying to calm myself and walk up to him. His towering body hovers over me as I look up at him. "You will regret this." I growl at him. "From who? Your prince in shining armour?" He chuckles. 

"No, from me."

***

not edited