Just This Once

Draco and Scorpius sneak into the kitchen in the middle of the night to eat ice cream as a pregnant Y/n sleeps.

Post-War

Dad Draco, mentions of pregnancy

The small shove Draco feels on his back which causes him to jolt forward, wakes him up with an audible groan. He looks behind him, his arm leaving his wife's side as he makes eye contact with the e/c eyes of his four-year-old son. The moon shining through the window reflects very lightly off the boy as he nudges his father once more, "daddy!". Draco lets out another groan, shorter this time as he looks at the clock on his bedside, 2.42 am.

"Why are you up at this time, Scorp?" asks Draco, leaning his head back against his pillow, his side brushing against Y/n's back while he outstretches a hand to hold onto Scorpius', bringing the boy closer to him to be able to talk to him quietly. Y/n was heavily pregnant, which meant that she grew more exhausted quicker, and he knew she should get all the sleep she could and, therefore, didn't want to disturb her. "I want some ice cream, and mum is asleep, so I thought we could have the mint chocolate one she left?" Y/n has had a major craving for ice cream over her pregnancy. She had bought a lot of it throughout the months - including Draco and his son's favourite - but Y/n had been precise about them not being allowed to eat hers, them unaware that she hasn't been completely serious in her light-hearted threats.

Draco gazes back at his wife before turning back to his son's hopeful stare, a dejected sigh leaving him. Still, before he can say no, Scorpius continues, "please! mum has two tubs of the mint one. She hasn't eaten those in ages, she won't notice", pleads their son, whispering sharply in optimism to change his dad's mind, which worked, "pass me my slippers from the end of the bed, darling" speaks Draco as his son cheers as quietly as possible before breaking from his dad's gentle hold to grab the indoor shoes as his father leans over to sleeping Y/n, laying a light kiss on her cheek before climbing out of bed and pulling the covers back up to the pillows.

Scorpius has a tight grip on his dad's hand as they walk quietly into the kitchen, Draco letting go as the boy charges for the fridge's freezer to haul the tub of ice cream out, the former Slytherin letting out a low chuckle as he gets two metal spoons out of the drawer and then lifts his son playfully who lets out a little shriek as Draco walks them over to the breakfast table, sitting his son down on one of the chairs as he sits across.

They start eating the ice cream, both passing it between each other. Draco waiting as Scorpius takes a few small spoonfuls at a time, each of them enjoying the taste they hadn't had the privilege of eating for the past months, especially Scorpius, whose legs swing excitedly under the table as he eats the minty cream from the spoon. Small chatter between each other arises as Draco asks his son not to tell his mother about this deal. Not only could Draco see Y/n upset over the loss of the treat but also hearing her son was out of bed at 3 am eating sugary sweets, which is bound to keep him up the rest of the night. But Draco knew it would be this once. It's not as if he has school in the morning, he thinks.

The small smile that covers the fathers face as he bonds with his son over ice cream leaves once he hears the voice of his wife, seeing her at the entrance of the kitchen, "what is going on?" Y/n asks, a hint of amusement in her voice as a whimsical grin spreads across her face as she looks at her two favourite boys spending time together, granted it was the middle of the night. Scorpius turns around in pure fright before his hands' dash for the tub to hide beside him, like she hadn't already seen it.

"Hi, darling", speaks Draco, a large smile painting his face to try and play down the situation, "you are letting Scorp eat ice cream at three in the morning?" asks Y/n, their son letting out a little sigh as he places the ice cream back down on the table before leaning back in his chair, folding his arms grumpily. "He just wanted some. He's not had it in a while" she leans against the doorframe as Draco speaks, rolling her eyes, "just this once," he added.

Both of them stare hopefully at Y/n, "what flavour?" she asks, "mint chocolate chip", replied Draco. She lifts herself from the doorframe before walking over to the drawer, her smile widening as she collects her own spoon before sitting beside them and sharing the ice cream as well, "just this once", she agrees, Draco plating a soft kiss on her cheek before his hands delicately brush over her stomach before they all spend the next while eating ice cream as the sound of their laughter echo of the kitchen walls.