[01] Welcome Home

C H A P T E R  O N E !Welcome Home

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

C H A P T E R O N E !
Welcome Home

In the human psychology of life, it is believed that everything is connected.

It's known as the theory of everything to be exact.

Whether it's a man you see on a street who might turn out to be your doctor, or you picking the car instead of the hat in a quick game of monopoly, nothing comes to chance. It could be the bag of onions you decide to get at the grocery even though they're not on the list, which turn out to be perfect for that onion soup when you catch a cold in two days, or you swipe left on a girl on Tinder who turns out to be a serial date killer.

Whatever the case may be, it's all about connection.

It's something truly special. The energy that exists between two people when they feel seen, heard, and valued; when they can give and receive without judgement; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship. It's a feeling that can't ever be replaced.

"You lost again."

With her head hanging downwards, Mercy Tate cracked a light smile. It was the kind that originated from the corner of your mouth, where you scrunched your lips together. It was a temporary but effective way of showing momentary appreciation. The brunette's legs were crossed as she sat on the dusty floor, finally lifting her head up enough to match the gaze of the person across from her.

"What are you smiling about?" Oliver asked, while he moved to take the pieces off the board, and began placing them back in the box. "Oh, nothing much." Mercy smiled, sliding a few pieces of fake money over to him.

"Just the fact that I totally let you win this game of monopoly. And now I know your strategies for next time." She chuckled. "That's not true." Oliver argued. "I am a man of mystery, I don't make the same mistakes twice."

Mercy clicked her tongue jokingly, using her hands to support the weight of her body, as she pushed herself up from her position on the floor, and moved closer to Oliver. "We'll just see then, won't we?" she smiled, before turning around and heading towards the door.

Today was a B-day, which meant Mercy Tate's fun was just about over. On B-days at Eichen, all patients of the S ward had to report to a mandatory check-in at four p.m on the dot. So Mercy and about twenty-six other kids had exactly eighteen minutes to make it all the way to the other side of the building so they could be evaluated, studied, and get a few sentences written on a crappy clipboard about them.

It's safe to say that all— except maybe the newcomers, were use to it. Mercy for example had been partaking in this series of events since she was nine years old. If you were marked well at the end of the evaluation, you continued your life at Eichen, if you did extremely well you no longer had to, and if you did bad.. you weren't allowed near the humans.