..෴✿۝CHAPTER 37۝✿෴..

While still yawning, Willow entered the mansion through the side door, the path only the servants use. It leads to the lobby and by the time she entered, all eyes were on her. On the grandiose stair leading to the upper floor, lined up knights stationed at the steps added by soldiers surrounding the lobby.

"Bloody-" She stopped her tracks and double took her surrounding making sure she entered the right house.

Having been involved with yesterday's matters, she had a hunch on why they visited. For one moment, she even thought that she's been caught and cold sweat even chilled her back.

"My lady, the azure knights came to visit the master." Mari, the head maid who accompanied Agus, swiftly approached Willow.

"Hoof, that surprised me" she kidded. Mari only scrunched her nose at Willow's way of talking.

Willow gone back to track after being ignored by the stoic nanny. "What are their motive for visiting?"

"We were not informed milady, this came as an emergency. The master was also at lost." Mari explained in her usual calm demeanor.

"I see. I'll go check after I change clothes."

At the mention of her clothes, Mari noticed her appearance. From the stained tracks coming from her filthy shoes, to her messy hair, to the smell of smoke permeating the air, and to the cape covering her whole body. Mari instinctively knew that wathever's beneath the green cape would only bring the monster out of her, so she turned a blind eye and ignored how Willow was dressed. They all feared that one nag might make Willow leave. The master also secretly ordered all the servants to comply with Willow's whims, thus, the only thing they can do is avert their eyes.

Willow intended to walk through the side stairs but she was stopped before she could even take a first step.

"Greetings commander"

A young knight who Willow felt a sense of familiarity approached.

Though Willow doesn't particularly care about formalities, Mari, who was accustomed to traditions lifted her brow at the young knight's rudeness. Speaking to a noble without being introduced is already rude but to even stop one is rude to the next level.

"Yes, sir knight?" Willow responded with her usual smile.

"Pardon my rudeness, commander, but I would like to inform you that Vice commander Vanderdeck is also here. The urgent matters might involve the dame as the commander." He spoke with a collected manner. The spectacles he wore brought memories of when Willow saw him.

Oh, he's the one furiously writing on the desk when I visited the head quarters.

"That's kind of you, very well, I shall see them post haste"

"That would be of no need, greetings commander" a voice came out of nowhere. Willow turned around only to see Vaughn walking towards them.

"Well, if it isn't my trusted vice commander." Willow greeted as bright as the morning rays. "What brought you here?"

Vaughn furrowed his brows on Willow's flattery but didn't comment further.

"This is the whole report, commander, I'm afraid that duke Liariaz would tell you all the details." Vaughn handed the report.

After a brief glance at the rolled parchment, Willow nodded to Mari and the later respectfully received it from Vaughn.

What a lousy timing, at least appear when I already changed my clothes. Willow remembered the cuts and filth on the sleeves of her shirt. What a mess, why didn't I think of changing. The convenience of hiding behind a cape clouded her judgement. If it's him, I know for sure that he'll notice it and might link it to yesterday's event.

"Very well, Sir Vanderdeck. Then I'll see to it" Both knights gave Willow a salute as she turned back and head upwards.

"Let us depart immediately" Vaugn ordered his right hand after giving a last parting look to Willow's visage and turned around.

Willow was on the midst of changing when she heard a knock followed by the clicking of the door. Still dressing behind the thin intricate wood, she spoke "What is it?"

"The master and the knights just left, milady" She heard the voice of Mari.

Willow was stunned in disbelief but chuckled nonetheless. "What a timing. I see, you may leave" Instead of wearing a new set of clean clothes, Willow head to her bath and cleansed the smell of smoke clinging to her nose. The cold water brought discomfort to her sore muscles but this surprisingly brought her a refreshing feeling.

As part of nobility, she has the privilege to be attended by the servants but she didn't let them. She has many secrets that should not be revealed and her body was one of it.

Dark mist that seemed alive, swirled on her body. It was the dragon's soul that was attached to them like a parasite leaching their mana. In addition, scars form fighting the frontlines decorated her toned body, and now, a burnt mark was added to the collection.

She stared with an unreadable expression in front of the bath mirror and recalled a scene from before she transmigrated.

Willow was on the cathedral, partaking in the cleansing ritual before she was crowned as the empress. There, a delicate bodice surrounded by the pristine hall slowly descend on the vast pool of water. The longer she walked, the more she was submerged in the water. When the water was on the level of her neck, she stopped and the nuns attending her chanted a ritual and then fully submerged her for a few seconds. They then emerged and knelt on the altar. There she caught a reflection of her as she slowly ascends the opposite stairs of the pool. In front of her was a woman dressed in a thin garb of a pure white color, the same color of her porcelain skin, and her eyes sparkles at the thought of finally marrying the man she loved. She knelt on the altar and remembered how the ceremony proceeded.

Willow clearly saw the stark difference of then and now. "What use of having a frail body that can't even protect thyself" she unknowingly slammed her fist on the mirror. The sting brought her out of stupor and she sighed in realization.

The memory soured her mood but she quickly forgot it as she busied herself to greet her guests. Not long after she finished dressing on her usual pants and shirt, a servant informed her that the Black Warriors are on the way.

She stepped out of her room and noticed how every servant lined up to greet her troops.

Not bad, they know not to disrespect my people even if they were foreigners

"Excellent, Bronwyn" He praised the Butler standing at the start of the line.

"You flatter me, milady" he humbly spoke with dignified aura but his appearance says the otherwise. Sweat trickled down his head and the haggardness from staying under the sun reflected on their appearance.

The sky is clear of clouds even if it's already mid-afternoon, the summer sun still stood pretty strong.

A maid brought a parasol and offered to shade their lady but she refused it with a laugh. "There's no need for that. What will those bull say if they saw me in it?" Willow chuckled just by imagining it.

Not long after, clatter of the hooves echoed through the air and the que of horses and wagons came into view. Two people unmounted from the horse and tried a formal greeting. They clumsily executed it making Willow secretly laughed. They don't usually do it if not for the servants scrutinizing their every move.

"Welcome" Willow acted like a gracious host while the two grimaced at her unusual façade.