The ground split beneath them. Caught up in his thoughts, racing for his life, this caught the keeper of the runners off guard. He veered left and Y/N went right. She stumbled, falling, having been caught right on the fault line where the stone split. She got up and kept running, moving on before Minho could even contemplate going to help her. The pair could see the end of this coffin like opening and sprint for it as the ground beneath them disappeared to their sides. Minho's stopped moving, giving him a few feet worth of stone to keep running along side the wall to keep himself from falling into the abyss below. Y/N's didn't stop retreating. She had to run faster, trying to beat the disappearing floor before there was nothing left to place her feet on. She was fast, but it seemed the maze, maybe the people behind this, had a mind of their own. They wanted her dead.

She was forced to run right against the wall to her right, tearing through the skin on her arm, just the gloves on her hands protecting her knuckles from being torn apart.

"Y/N!" Minho, now just having reached the solid ground, skidded to a stop and turned back to watch Y/N. "RUN!"

In a last ditch effort to keep herself alive, she had to jump. With just centimetres of ground beneath her, she leapt for the edge just a metre or so away. Her feet touched down but her feet slipped, her weight taking her backwards. Dropping down, she scrambled to get a grip on the edge of the stone with her fingers. She could see Minho running toward her but she knew in this moment she knew he wasn't close enough. She couldn't place blind faith in him right now like she had so many time before. Her life was in her own hands.

With an agonizing scream, the girl managed to grab hold on the edge of the stone. But that broken rock tore up her legs and she kicked to keep herself up, the underside of her arms shrieking with the stinging from being shred.

Finally sure she had a solid hold, she tired to clear her eyes, get a look at what was going on around her. She had to get up on that ledge. Minho was there, face caked in dust. He held out a hand to her and she took hold, hauled up and crashing on the stone.

Breathing heavily, the girl fought back a sob of sheer panic. She was so close. So, so close to not having made it back to the glade today. This was the closest call she'd ever had.

Minho held the girl against his chest. He, too, was just as horrified as she was. All of the times they'd been stuck in the middle of a changing maze or grievers didn't even compare to what had just happened. Right now, they could look down into the dark cavern and wholly understand that was not a fall a person could survive.

He'd almost lost his running partner. Almost lost so, so much more.

Y/N, though hesitant, pushed off of Minho, breaking from his deathly tight grip. "We have to go."

Still frantic, Minho admired Y/N's ability to get back on her feet and do what had to be done. "Y/N, you're hurt."

The girl lift up her hands, shaking, examining her ams as she rotate them and then looked to her legs. She hissed through her teeth but with one mental check over, she knew there was no damage that was life threatening. "I can make it back, trust me."

Minho didn't doubt her. It would be best if they could get back sooner than later. As they ran, the rain stung her skin. She felt the bruises on her bones forming. From deep inside, she was using everything she had left to just hold it together.

Y/N was tough. Never once had Minho, her closest confidant here, even seen her cry. But right now? Pain aside, with all of the emotions swelling inside of her, she felt her nose sting and eyes watering up.

The run was sort of a blur for both of the runners. When they finally made it back, gladers with worried faces await them at the maze doors. Quickly, both Y/N and Minho were brought into the medjack hut, kindly brought dinner and water, and then given dry clothes. Bandaged up and a little shaken, smiling through it all, Newt felt awful for his friends. He couldn't even imagine how petrified they were. The least he figured he could do was offer Y/N up his room in the homestead for the night to keep warm and dry.