Remembering [4]

-Flashback-

"Marry me."

Words that Y/n never thought she would hear echoed within the tiny room as she lied in bed next to her love.

They went away to her parent's cottage. Quite often they would go to be alone. From the quiet sunsets on the beach to being nestled in each other's arms sprawled out on the bed after passionate sex. They bask in their moments together forgetting all the politics of Paradise.

Nobody knew the two were together. Y/n would tell her friends and Commander the truth about going to her parent's cottage, while Eren would say he wanted to go train in the mountains alone.

Eren pulls Y/n into his chest wrapping his arms around her. Both were recovering from the after effects of their orgasms. Y/n felt her eyes droop down as sleep began to take over. That was until Eren spoke out...

"Marry me, Y/n."

Y/n's eyes widened in surprise. Of course she wanted to marry him. The thought crossed her mind on many occasions. She loves him.

However, Y/n was also realistic thinking marriage would be the last thing on Eren's mind. She doesn't recall talking about it with him, or even the idea of having a family. It wouldn't be possible for him.

"Why?" Was all she could say. "Why wouldn't I?" Eren responded as he started tracing small circles on her back.

"That's not what I mean Eren!" She exclaims lifting herself up to look at him directly. He stops what he is doing. Attention now fully on her as he anxiously waited for an answer. Y/n needed him to be honest before she agreed.

"I just didn't think you wanted to get married given the current circumstances. You always seem like something is on your mind. You see a future no one else sees. You told me about it, but I can't imagine seeing it. The rumbling, Marley, the destruction. Eren, how could you want to marry someone when you don't know if you are going to survive. I often wonder why you want to be with me...or what am I to you..."

Her voice trailed off as she placed her head on his chest, she couldn't bear to look at him after when she had just said.

They continued to lay there in silence as he was absorbing all of what she had just told him. Eren knew he wanted to marry her. He knew how he felt. No one could make him feel the knots twist in his stomach. No one could make his heart skip a beat the way she did. She is his love after all, and he was going to make sure she knew.

"You are...everything to me."

She looks up at Eren. His entire faced had softened as love and adoration radiated from him.

"Do you know why I fell in love with you?" Y/n shakes her head. "It's because you make me forget all the suffering around me and the future. You're the only person that brings a smile to my face. Your kind, courageous, and beautiful inside and out. I meant it when I said I wanted to spend my time left with you. Even when we have to hide us from everyone...I still find myself relying on your presence alone to keep me going. I don't know how I would manage without you."

He paused to get his words straight.

"You are right about one thing...I do look at things differently now. My mind is thinking many things, but...but the rumbling isn't the only thing I think about. I think about other things, normal everyday things."

Eren then moves his free hand up against Y/n's cheek, his thumb gently caressing it. "You don't have to say yes if you don't want to. I understand if you don't think it will work. At least give me one chance at having something normal in this life. Let me be your husband until the day I die."