Assumptions

"No! That isn't how math is supposed to be!" Mr. Caddel yelled.

"Ok... but that is how math is and you said that you would help me with this summer math work," I argued.

In front of me was a huge math work book, on the page was some dividing with exponents equation that we needed to know for 8th grade. Mr. Caddel had agreed to help me with this math because everyone else was procrastinating on their summer home work. I was diving into my work so that I wouldn't forget about doing it later.

"They just invented a new type of math, I swear," He grumbled, pulling the math book closer to him on the metal table.

We were at a base, somewhere in northern California, it had been a week since we had decided on our houses and such. I was burying myself in studies so I didn't have to deal with these growing awkward situation with Wild Card. Maybe I was being a coward... but no one told me it and they had good reason to do so.

"Go grab your phone," He ordered.

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"We are utilizing the ancient method of Google," He waved his hands like he was revealing some mystic secret.

"That sounds a lot like cheating," I was hesitant about using it, instead of just figuring it out ourselves.

"You want help or not?" He threatened.

"Alright, alright. I'm getting it," I stood up and picked up my phone that was in my back pack.

I clicked on Google, on my way back over. He took the phone from me.

"Okay, so what's the title of this unit?" He asked.

"The Division and Multiplication Of Exponents," I read out.

"How to divide and multiply exponents," He muttered as he typed it out.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I wrung my hands.

"If you get him in trouble, just tell your teacher that their stupid math work book didn't explain this stupid math," He started to grow angry.

"Ok... But how exactly will Google explain it better than the actual textbook?" I questioned.

"Because its Google, I still don't know how I passed high school without it," He said, gruffly.

"That reminds me of that meme..." I trailed off.

I took the phone from his grasp and searched up the google meme. I showed him the meme and he burst out laughing. His laugh was definitely gruff and had a hoarse sort of sound to it. I just giggled and then a twenty something year old soldier burst into the room.

"Sir, I was informed to tell you that Acapella, Missy and Fast Forward are demanding a trip to a mall so that they can, and I quote "Go to school in something that does not smell like blood and despair". What should we do, sir?" He saluted.

"Get some female officer to take them," Mr. Caddel waved off.

"I asked and no female soldier wants to take 3 twelve year old's, shopping," the soldier explained.

"That's strange..." Mr. Caddel sighed.

"Why don't I take them? I'm the oldest and I have had to go shopping by myself loads of times," I suggested.

"You are 13... and have super human abilities that you have learned to control... All right... here's 500 each, do what you want," He handed me a huge wad of cash.

"Great! So like tomorrow at 10 or something," I negotiated.

"How about right now?" Mr. Caddel pushed me off the stool.