The Dessert

My ears were filled with a long and continuing high note. I tried to move my leg but it was trapped under some wood. I tried to gather my energy but it wasn't responding neither was the wind. I wiped the dust from my eyes and saw Wild Card stumble towards me. I could see Missy under a huge metal beam. He made eye contact with me before setting about moving the huge chunk of wood. I could tell my ankle was broken, so I ripped off some of my shirt and tie it around it.

"Come one, we got to help Missy," He gave me his hand and I took it. He hoisted me up and we wandered over to Missy.

I limped and my body was incredibly sore but I still helped him pick up the beam. It caused my muscles to ache and my eyes to water from the pain. He met my eyes but I looked away. He gently used his finger to tilt my chin up. I blushed like crazy when I realized how close we were. He quickly dropped his hand.

"Will she be okay?" He asked.

I kneeled down besides her and told Wild Card to turn around. He did so, hesitantly. I stripped her shirt and started pushing down on her bruises. My dad taught me how to administer 1st aid so I tried to remember the training he gave me.

"Nothing burst, she'll probably just have some major bruises and possible head trauma," I answered. 

He tried to turn around but I pushed him back so his back was to the two of us again. I examined the rest of her body for a second before dressing her again. I informed him that he could turn around. He picked her up bridal style while I went salvaging for food and/or supplies. I couldn't find anything and shook my head at Wild Card.

He sighed, his shoulders drooping. The missile had destroyed the rest of the town and dead bodies were splayed across the ground every once and a while. My powers still had yet to surface so I couldn't make the walk easier.

"Hey, why did you want to go last?" Wild Card brought up.

"I don't know," I lied.

"Yes, you do know why," Wild Card countered.

"And how could you possibly know that?" I shot back, defensively.

"Because I can tell when you're lying," Wild Card answered.

"That's such a coincidence because I can tell when you're annoying," I said, before speeding up ahead of him.

"You can't keep pretending like you are okay all of the time," He called after me.

"You don't know me," I yelled.

"You can't keep your emotions to yourself all of the time!" He screamed.

"Yes, I can! You don't know what I'm like! The most you know about me is that I have these powers! So stop pretending like you know me because you don't and I hope you never will!" I broke, tears streaming down my face.

"I DON'T KNOW! WHAT DO YOU THINK WE'VE BEEN TRYING TO DO FOR THE PAST MONTH SINCE YOU'VE WOKEN UP!!!" He was angry but so was I.

"I'VE BEEN TRYING TO SURVIVE!! TO PRETEND LIKE THESE POWERS AREN'T OVERWHELMING AND I'M NOT SCARED OF MYSELF!! SO, YES, I CAN'T THINK OF WHAT YOU'VE BEEN TRYING TO DO FOR THE PAST MONTH," I yelled.

"You can't run away anymore!" Wild Card warned.

"Watch me," I snarled back.

"Please don't slam the door," He begged.

"But I need to! I'm not normal! Not some sort of human!! I AM A MONSTER!" I screamed.

"Says who?" His face was deadly calm.

"Says me!" I jabbed at myself.

Everything in me wanted to flee the scene.

"Except your not a monster," He argued.

"Look what I did! What I have created?" I threw my hands up in the air.

"You can't keep shutting everyone out!" He ordered.

"You can't control me!" I shrieked.

I started to walk away. I kept walking when I was spun around met with Wild Cards' lips. His hands traveled to my back and pushed me closer to him. Slowly, I kissed back, relishing in the feeling. We moved in sync. My eyes were closed and he smiled into the kiss. We pulled apart for a second or two before he pushed me back on him. After a while, I pulled away and my eyes fell on Missy who was still unconscious and laying on the ground a few feet away.

"Oh no... What did I just do?" I turned around and ran my fingers across my hair.

"What's wrong?" Wild Card wrapped his hands around my waist.

"No no... Missy and you like each other. I shouldn't have done that," I pushed myself off of him.

"What if I like both of you?" Wild Card grabbed my wrist.

My breathing hitched.

"No," I shut down.

"Just here me out," He chased after me.

"No! Wild Card we just need to focus on getting to the base in Ghana," I shook my head, picking Missy up.

"Just one more kiss, please," He gave me the puppy eyes that I couldn't resist.

"No, No, No," I repeated and just kept walking.

I kept my glance away from Wild Card and slowly my powers started to come back. My eyes glowed as I lifted Missy into the air with it. I then let the wind pick me up and I sat as I was carried. Wild Card was flying a little way behind me. My feelings were so conflicted. I didn't want to hurt Missy or Wild Card.

You are dangerous. You don't deserve to live. You are worthless. You are unloved. You just need to do what Mr. Caddel said.

It repeated over and over in my head as I decided to walk instead of using the wind. Wild Card touched down next to me and attempted to slide my hand into his. I shook it off. He sighed deeply and I tried to ignore the aching that filled my heart when he was upset. I heard shifting and turned to see Missy's eyes shoot open.