He didn't suspect her even when she asked him to meet her at the park just before sundown after everyone would be gone. He headed there without question assuming she had her reasons just like he himself had his reasons for the things he did. When he met Mordred there, she seemed oddly anxious.

        "There's something I need to tell you," she spoke before he could stop walking. He tilted his head a bit in wonder. Couldn't she have just said whatever she had to say while he was at the park earlier that day?

        "Yeah. What's up? I'm all ears." Despite his words, it did briefly cross his mind that whatever she was about to say was probably something he shouldn't hear.

        "I think you should stop coming to the park. It's...not safe," she muttered. He blinked at her, not exactly understanding what she'd said.

        "You called me to the park to tell me not to come to the park...?"

        "I'm serious, (y/n). For some reason, those people think you have something to do with me. Not with baseball, but something else. If you stop showing up, maybe they'll leave you alone," Mordred said. It was clear that her frustration was growing by the second. "I can't tell you anything to explain it without getting you into more trouble."

        "Just answer a few more questions for me and I'll never even look at this park again," (y/n) agreed. The relief she showed didn't exactly put him at ease, but it did help the situation if only a little. "Are you doing anything illegal?"

        "I wouldn't call it illegal. Most people don't know about it, but I doubt it's illegal," Mordred answered. (Y/n) wasn't sure if that would suffice as an answer, but he decided not to push his luck.

        "Is there anything that I can do to help you?" He tensed up at Mordred's hesitation to answer.

        "No...there isn't. Just stay away from here for a while." She wouldn't meet his gaze as she spoke.

        "I like you," (y/n) immediately spoke once she had finished her sentence.

        "Wha– that's not even a question!" Mordred looked right at him, visibly flustered and surprised. "Didn't you just hear anything I said? I'm telling you to go away!" she snapped at him. He couldn't help but smile at her.

        "That doesn't change the fact that I still like you. Here, I'll give you my number. Call me whenever we can meet up again, alright." He pulled out his phone, but Mordred quickly caught hold of his wrist to stop him from doing anything more.

        "I'm not taking your number. Here, take this instead. If you're ever in trouble, break it and I'll find you." Her voice was a lot calmer now, but (y/n) could tell that she was still uneased. "You can't stay in contact with me. I'm sorry, but this is the only way to make sure that you don't get involved." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a pen.

        "Um, this is starting not to make any sense," (y/n) commented as he accepted the pen. "I don't even want to know. Just take care of yourself until I see you next time. And don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it. I may not seem like it, but I have my fair share of connections. I can get things done if needed."

        "I don't think you're connections will help, former basketball champion. Just because you can't visit the park doesn't mean you can neglect baseball. You better not get rusty before I see you again," Mordred spoke with a grin. For a moment, they stood there awkwardly not knowing who would leave first or in which direction. Before (y/n) could put an end to the awkward silence, Mordred shot forward and hugged him.

        "I...just stay safe, alright. If you die, I'll kick your ass," she said. Then she let him go and turned away from him, leaving him there with a mix of emotions. When he couldn't see her off in the distance any longer, (y/n) began to head home. The street lights were much brighter now that the sun had practically set. He had a good walk ahead of him before he reached the safety of his home, but there was no reason to be afraid.