Strike Three

I decided to go for whatever came to mind. There shouldn't be any spoilers either.
_____________________________________

        "Oi, throw that back will ya?" she called to him. (Y/n) blinked at her before her words registered in his mind. He had simply been walking by the local park minding his own business when the baseball had nearly taken his head off. If it weren't for his reflexes acquired through previous sports training, he would have met an unfortunate fate. Instead, he was staring at a girl off in the distance who awaited the return of the little weapon of mass concussion.

        He threw it back without a problem only because that girl had made him forget about being angry at whoever was responsible for nearly hitting him. "Thanks!" she called with a grin and a thumbs up once the ball was returned. (Y/n) returned her gesture with a wave and went on his way. Strike one.

        Only a few days later, (y/n) found himself wandering back to the park. He hadn't meant to go there, but since he had ended up at the park gates again, he decided to stick around. Just before he could catch the attention of the boys currently playing baseball, he heard someone approaching.

        "Oh. You're that guy. What are you doing here?" The same girl from earlier was standing there in her sports gear and a bat over her shoulder. She didn't even give him the chance to answer either. "Want to play? You'd be a pretty good pitcher. Your throw isn't bad at all." And she walked ahead of him without waiting for his answer again. "The name's Mordred by the way."

        (Y/n) sighed before following after her. He didn't have anything particular to be doing especially since his part time job was in the morning. There was no harm in trading the rest of his walk for a game of baseball although he had never actually played the sport. He got a strange feeling which prompted him to search for the source of the gaze he'd felt, but there was no one else around who was even looking in his direction. The players had been focused on their game and Mordred was still going straight ahead. Strike two. (Y/n) shrugged off the feeling as nothing more than superstition.

        Apparently, baseball wasn't hard for him to pick up. He easily got the hang of it after his first strike out, and Mordred had claimed he was a natural at being a pitcher. His team lost, but Mordred wouldn't let up on her compliments. "You'll have to stop by again some time. There's no way you'd let those other guys beat you and not come back to settle the score, right!" she had said once everyone was leaving.

        "We'll see. I didn't think I'd do so well. It was fun," (y/n) said more to himself than to Mordred. It had been a while since he had had fun playing a sport. "Do you guys always come out here during this time?"

        "Of course. No one else uses this field except us. Other teams from who knows where come by all the time. I can tell, you play a sport don't you. Go on, tell me what it is. I bet that's why you're so good at baseball even though you've never played it." Mordred was far too eager for hi to deny her request.

        "Basketball. I used to play basketball...but I quit," (y/n) amswered. He frowned a bit as he thought about the details surrounding his reason for abandoning the game.

        "That's entirely different..." Mordred muttered. She seemed almost disappointed but soon laughed it off. "Just make sure you stop by again. I'm going to go against you next time and see just how good you are!" she exclaimed. "Oh wait...what's your name again?"

        (Y/n) held back his laugh. She hadn't given him the chance to introduce himself. "I'm (y/n). And thanks for letting me join. It was fun," he replied. And that single official encounter was the start of (y/n)'s regular visits to the park. In just two months, he had become great friends with Mordred who was quite mysterious. No matter how many times she would suddenly have to run off during random innings of the games they played, (y/n) never suspected her of anything suspicious.