2) Carriages and Howlers

James POV:

"Hello Hagrid." I greeted.
"Hello James! How are you?" 
"Great thanks, I'm here to help you with the first years along with Lily!" 
"Alrighty then. Can you both please split the first years into 3 groups and then help them get on the boats, that way it's much easier for all of us." he asks.
"Of course Hagrid!" Lily exclaims, gosh even her voice is beautiful. I shook my thoughts out of my head. 
"You ok?" she asks me. 
"Yeah why wouldn't I be?" I ask.
"Well you were shaking your head." sha says. I feel embarassment rising upto my cheeks. Gosh what an idiot you are, who literally shakes their thoughts out of their heads?.
"Oh I didn't realise sorry," I say sheepishly, ruffling up my hair. Lily smiles at me and continues grouping the new kids. OMG she smiled ate me! Liliy Evans smiled at me - James Potter! Before I fell into another daydream, I decided to help her, besides I need to show Lily that I can be a responsible person. After we were done, we walked to the carriages, managing to make some small talk. 
"So - how was your summer?" I ask.
"I mean it was ok. My sister was being annoying as usual - " she stopped. 
"Um are you ok?" I ask, debating with myself wether I should put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. I decided to do it anyway. 
"Yeah sorry, it's just that I realised I never told you about her so there was no point in telling you about my summer." she replies. Wow, is her sister really that bad.

"Well you can tell me." I say, hoping my one damn sentence and these stupid feelings don't ruin the 'kind-of-friends' relationship we have. She looks at me, I try to find an emotion that she may be feeling, it took me a few moments to. This girl is so good at hiding her emotions. It's good I can see it through them though, spent most of time with Sirius didn't I, so I'm pretty good at finding hidden emotions.

"Maybe later." she says. I look forward and see that the rest of our friends were waiting there.
"Hey, you waited for us!" I exclaim, running to Sirius. 
"Yeah we waited so long, and I'm hungry so we were about to leave." Sirius says, smirking. What is there to smirk about. I look and see that there are no spaces left in the carriage. So this was why he was smirking. Remus and Sirius probably saw my face, cos they high-fived each other.  I look over to Lily, who shrugged and waved goodbye to the rest of them. It took nearly 5 whole minutes for the next carriage to arrive. I really wanted to ask her if we could be friends. I know what I've been doing is wrong these past 6 years. I thought if I act cool, she'll be impressed. But if I try to play it cool, it never goes right. 

When the carriage did finally arrive, Lily got on first and I hopped on after her. She seemed to be avoiding me.

Lily POV:

We got on the carriage and I tried avoiding James after he asked me about Tuney - sorry I mean Petunia. 
"Hey Lily, you ok?" He asked. I couldn't keep the tears in any longer. They just started spilling out, he came over and sat next to me, he put his arms around me and I felt safe. I don't know what made me do it but I told him everything from when I met Snape to when Petunia calle dme a freak and how she's been treating me till now. I stopped crying, but I stayed in James' arms.
"James," I ask , my voice croaky, "do you think I'm a freak?" I ask. I look up to see his horror on his face. 
"LILY P- EVANS! Don't you dare say that about yourself. Look at me," I met his hazel eyes," Lily you are no freak, it doesn't matter what your sister says or what Snivellus says. You are far from freak. They are just jealous of you and there will be others in the world, besides your sister and Snivellus, who'll do and say so much to try and get you to put your guard down, they want to make you vulnerable to them. But Lily Evans you are beautiful, smart, talented , fierce girl who can do practically anything. You have so many friends, me, Sirius, Remus and Peter are also you're friends along with Marlene, Clara and Alice." 
"You'll be my friends?" I ask him. 
"Uh-uh of -course, i-if you want me to." he stutters. I can't help but giggle.
"James did you mean everything you just said?" I ask him.
"Yes Lily  I did." he paused for a second. " Lily now that we're friends, promise me one thing." he says. I nod in reply.
"Never doubt yourself again." he asks smiling. I smile back and reassure him that I won't. The rest of the ride, we were just talking about each other's likes and dislikes. Anyways now that we are friends, I need to know stuff about him.
"What is your favourite colour?" I ask.
"Green," he repleis.
"Green, what type?" 
"Like the colour of your eyes." he says. I felt heat rise upto my cheeks. Am I blushing about something that James Potter said?

After what felt like hours, we finally arrived at Hogwarts, it still stood tall and magestic like always. James gets of first and offers me his hand. I take it and jump off. His hands were so soft - LILY! Get a hold of yourself. I mentally scream at myself.
However as soon as we stepped through the doors, James let out a scream. I looked over at him and saw that he was soaked, head to toe. I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't because then Peeves came along and splashed me with 2 of his waterballons. 
"Damn it Peeves!" I curse. My hair was now falling infront of my eyes. Great way to start the first night of Hogwarts. I move my hair out of my eyes and try to walk normally into the Great hall. Looks I like I timed it wrong, when we opened the doors to the greta hall, dumbledore was giving his welcoming speech, but when we entered everyone's eyes fell on us. My cheeks started turning red with embarrassment. I felt James give a reasurring nod, behind me. I decided to continue walking to the table and sat down next to between Marlene and Clara.  They looked at me wierdly. Probably because I'm wet. 

"Well those are your heads for this year." Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eye. In front of me, James stood up,"THANK YOU!" he bellowed and  bowed so low, his head banged on the table. This caused some people to laugh. I even hears Professor McGonagall chuckle. Now that was unusual. 

"Thank you for lightening up the mood Mr Potter, honestly very much appreciated." Dumbledore said.
"You're welcome Sir," James replied, I couldn't hold in my smile.
"Now that we are all in a happy mood, lets begin the feast." he stated and sat back down. I look over and see everyone chatting away and eating apart from the Slytherins who were whipsering to each other and pointing at people.  Probably making fun of people again, I think. I look back and pile food into my plate while chatting away with Marlene, Alice and Clara. I look over to the marauders and smile, I see James smile back at me.
"Why Lilyflower, you never smiled like that to me!" Sirius exclaims. I look over and give him a sarcastic smile, "now that's better isn't it." I roll my eyes.
"Oh wait, I nearly forgot something." Oh god this can't be good. He handed me, James, Clara and Remus an envelope. I turn it around and see that it's a howler. I go to open it,
"No Lily don't!" I hear James say but it was too late.

"LILYFLOWER, CONGRATS CONGRATS,
YOU JUST RECEIVED A HOWLER 
YOUR HEAD GIRL AND I AM NOT SUPRISED
IN MY OPINION I THINK YOU GOT EVERYTHING YOU WANTED IN LIFE APART FROM ONE.
A KISS FROM DEAR PRONGSIE! OH WAIT I FORGOT, YOU ALREADY GOT THAT ON A TRAIN. 
NOW THE ONLY THING LEFT IS A WEDDING RING AND A LITTLE BABY BOY.
I MEAN I DON'T MIND BEING THE GODFATHER OF A GIRL, BUT A BOY WOULD BE PREFERABLE!"

All in Sirius' voice!

I can feel myself blushing. I look over and see James in the same state, while the rest of our group is laughing along with most of the school. I'm sure they heard the howler. I look over at James, who's clutching his howler. 
Sirius tries to grab it off of him, but James pulled away. But Sirius being Sirius just levitated it out of James' hand and opened it.

"JAMESIE-POO, I THOUGHT WE SAID NO TO RESPONSIBILITY
BUT YOU WENT AHEAD AND GOT HEAD BOY
I'M STILL TRYING TO SEE IF THIS WAS A DREAM COZ I STILL THINK IT'S AN AWFUL IDEA
ANYWAYS, ENOUGH OF THAT, I'M HOPING YOU ALREADY HEARD LILY'S HOWLER.
I KNOW YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO KISS HER, MARRY HER AND EVEN HAVE A CHILD WITH HER!
HOPE YOUR LOOKING LIKE A TOMATO BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU GET
BUT DON'T FORGET I AM THE GODFATHER!"

You can guess that the same thing happened to Clara and Remus as well. 

"REMUS LUPIN, OF COURSE YOU'RE A PREFECT, DIDN'T EXPECT ANY LESS OF YOU
BUT DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE GOOD PART IS?
NO YOU PROBABLY DON'T, YOU OBLIVIOUS CINNAMON ROLL
THE BEST PART IS THAT CLARA IS PREFECT WITH YOU! AM I RIGHT? OF COURSE I'M RIGHT
DON'T WORRY I'M SURE CLARA WON'T MIND TO KNOW THAT LIKE HER.
OH YOU TWO SURE MAKE A PREFECT COUPLE

Next it was Clara's turn:

HEY CLAIRE! BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING I KNOW YOUR NAME IS CLARA,
ANYWAYS I JUST WANTED TO CONGRATULATE YOU ON GETTING PREFECT.
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT COZ NOW YOU AND MY DEER OLS MOONY HERE CAN HANG OUT, MAKE OUT AND I WON'T GO ON. BUT THE POINT IS THAT YOU AND MOONY CAN FINALLY BE A CUTE COUPLE BECAUSE HE LIKES YOU AND YOU LIKE HIM
HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT! NOW CARRY ON EATING!

And just like that all four howlers blew loud rapberries and tore themselves apart. 
I was so ready to slap Sirius, but I decided to wait till we got back into the common roo.

This year is going to be long.