Chapter One

"Rise and shine Sarah!" my dad shouted waking me up. It was a cold morning. It was December 11th. I got out of bed and put on my ugg boots. My feet felt like they were on a cloud. I then put my jacket on and walked tiredly downstairs into the kitchen. My dad was sitting down with my now two year old sister Mackenzie. I sat down opposite them and started picking at some grapes that were in the fruit bowl.

"We're just about to listen to the weather announcements. It's being snowing quite a lot over night so you might be off school" my dad said as he turned channels on the radio. We made it just in time for the weather announcements.

"Only one school is closed in the Nashville area today because it's out of reach and harder to get to than the others" said the radio announcer "That school is Hillwood High School" I jumped up out of my chair excitedly and my dad turned off the radio.

"Do you know what this means?" he asked me happily.

"I get to help y'all down at the market stalls in time for the pre Christmas rush!" I said excitedly.

"Aren't you just the sweetest girl ever?" he said admiringly.

"I could be , I just love seeing everybody over the holidays" I said.

"And everybody will want to see you before you turn 16 , I can't believe that you've been alive another year tomorrow" he said pretending to wipe a tear from his eye.

"Well believe it dad , you caused this" I joked.

"What does that mean?" asked Mackenzie and my eyes widened.

"Nothing Mack , don't you worry about it , do you want to come to the market today?" I asked to distract her and she nodded vigerously.

"Ok then , you go and ask mommy to get you dressed then" I said helping her out of the high chair but my dad scooped her up in his arms.

"That's not such a good idea" he said "Mommy is asleep and we'd like to keep it that way"

"Why? Mom has always been the early bird. What's up with her?" I asked. Then my dad put Mackenzie down and let her run away.

"What's wrong with her is that you are going to be a big sister again and it's another girl" he said and my jaw dropped.

"Another child? Really? Haven't you had enough already? How can you be having another baby when your oldest child is 22?" I asked frantically. It was bad enough for them to have Mackenzie when Sean was 20. A 22 year age difference between your oldest and youngest child is too much. My parents aren't old. My mom is 44 and my dad is 45. My mom was 22 years old when she had her first child , then 29 , then 42 and now. That's quite some age difference.

"I know it's a lot to take in but you should be happy , you're going to be a big sister again" my dad tried to pursuade me.

"I am happy" I said "I'm just in shock , this is quite a big deal."

"I know , I'm sorry , we didn't mean for this to happen" he said.

"Ew dad , TMI" I joked "I'm going to get ready for the market"

I ran upstairs to my room and began getting ready. I put on some dark wash jeans and a plaid shirt. I then put on my boots and brushed through my long , dark brown hair. I then grabbed my bag and coat and went back downstairs where my mom , dad and Mackenzie were sitting watching TV in the living room.

"Well , I'm ready" I said to my dad and he stood up.

"Ok could you help me move the firewood from the back yard?" he asked.

"Sure" I said. We walked outside and put on some gloves. We then went back and forth to the car lugging firewood into the trunk. When we'd finished I threw my gloves on the garden table and sat in the car where it was warm. I was soon joined by my Dad and we made our way to the market.