Chapter 1 - Unpredictable

Life is unpredicable.

Alexine Chen, born in Silver Clouds Pack in Sydney, along with her two older siblings, had no idea how bumpy life was going to be. Alexine would turn 18 in a few days and find her mate. She went through her first shift at the age of 12. Her parents saw the treble clef on her wolf's fur and knew something was different, but they didn't know what. They heard of Twoset Pack in Brisbane, where the Alphas were said to have strange powers. Her parents, Clara and Evertt, told Alexine that her wolf was special and told her that shifting in front of everyone would be unwise, especially if the alpha, Robert, knew. Robert seemed like a competent alpha but he was, in reality, a cold evil soul. Lucia, the Luna, found out but promised to keep Alexine's wolf a secret, knowing her mate would do unimaginable things. Their only son, Jordan, is 19 but hadn't found his mate yet. Alpha Robert is from a line of Elementals, but the Elemental gene skipped him and was passed on to Jordan. He has yet to find his powers.

Alexine

This is just a regular school day. Thank goodness my birthday is in a few days, meaning I will find my mate. I really hope I don't share the same fate as my two older siblings; Isabelle and Emerson have both been rejected by their mates. No reason why, just a cold rejection. We all shifted early and perhaps what defines the three of us is our passion for music. Isabelle plays piano and flute, Emerson plays violin and piano, and I play all three. My wolf is silver with a white treble clef on its back. I never told anyone except my family, but Luna Lucia found out when I went for a run. Unlike Alpha Robert, she wasn't a cold evil soul. She kept my secret safe and tried to protect me whenever she could. She even provided me with special silver paint that could conceal my treble clef, but the paint was removable.  I have no idea what that means, but my wolf Alicia said that I have special powers. Yet they have not revealed themselves.

I go to an all-werewolf school with my pack and our neighbors Equinox, Solstice, Silver Crescent, and Scarlet Moon Packs. I am in grade 12 now. My favorite subject is Biology- isn't it strange that a musician would like science? Well, a music program in werewolf school is non-existent, even though I've gotten my ARCT in piano (Associate Diploma-RCM Teachers). Right now I am eating lunch with my friends Joanne, Jessie, Emilia, Leslie and Kelsie. Leslie and Kelsie are twins. We have biology and french next. Yay! My favorite subjects.

Fred, Joanne's younger brother, and Elliane, Jessie's younger sister, come straight towards Jessie's cookies. Those two are a rambunctious pair, and everyone thinks they will see more of them in the coming years. Jessie was in no mood for fun. She swapped the cookies at the last second with a rotten banana. Jessie has been in a bad mood all day because she found her mate. His name is Austin and he's one of those boys that have a ton of girls flocking to him day and night. Jessie used to be bullied by him until one day Jordan had enough and used his Alpha command on Austin. We all found that scene hilarious. Out of us six, only Jessie has found her mate. 

The class bell rings and I jump up to grab my backpack. I get a mindlink from my mom telling me Isabelle and Emerson are coming tonight for a visit. They will stay for a week, as it is their reading week. I ran off to Biology and sat down beside Jessie. She was the only one I could trust with talking about mates, since she had one too. I told her about my siblings' rejections through the mind-link, how my Alicia (my wolf) was very worried about meeting my mate, and how my parents suspected I might also be rejected. 

A: My parents think I might also be rejected. My siblings were, too.

J: We'll cross that mate bridge when we get to it. Hah! well, don't worry yet. Wait till you meet your mate, then we can cross that bridge and-

A: -burn the bridges behind us!! 

(mind-link laughter)

J: Anyway, don't fret. Remember you always have me, I can-

Suddenly, the there was an announcement. 

"Jessie Ye, please come to the office."

Jessie groaned and got up, swore under her breath and stomped her way to the office.
I had an inkling that this was about Austin.

When she didn't return for French class, I lied to the teacher about going to the toilet and instead dropped by the office to check on her. Her parents were there along with Austin's parents. Deciding not to snitch, I went back to class. The bell rang and I rushed the classroom, excited to see my siblings. As I neared the exit, I bumped into a fuming Jessie. 

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Austin has tons of girls on his arm day and night and his idiot parents want me to share a room with that idiot. Like seriously??? Luckily my parents are the Betas and they always check with me first. So, they wouldn't allow that. Someone has to keep Elliane in check and my parents have beta duties!" Jessie replied.

"That sounds  s a c r e l i g i o u s ! Then what are you going to do now?"

"He thinks that if I'm not one of those popular girls then I'm not good enough. Does he even use his brain? For now I shalln't talk to him at all. I will wait for his "girlfriend" to find her mate and dump him, then he will regret even trying to reject me!" Jessie ranted.

"Haha, very good course of action. The Stonks Triumvirate will approve! As a matter of fact, they will be visiting tonight!"

We began to walk home together.

A/N: The Stonks Triumvirate is a nickname for Alexine and her siblings because they are special wolves and they are they only ones in the pack who play more than two instruments. They also like memes, hence Stonks. 

"Nice! Wait- does that mean I can't visit tonight?"

I thought for a moment before answering, "It depends. You can but you'll have to leave at seven o'clock, when we have dinner."

"Sure, I can do that."

Then we went our seperate ways.

"Oh, Lex do not forget, there is a pack meeting tomorrow at 4!" Jessie yelled over her shoulder.