XXXII

"You up for a visitor?" Kenna looked up and saw someone unexpected at her cell. Bucky had a smile plastered over his face so calm that she couldn't find it in herself to turn him away. She didn't smile back, just returned his look with a shrug and a blank expression. "I know what you're going through, you know?"

"How could you possibly know what this is like?"

"I mean the being experimented on-"

"So does Wanda, and Steve, and probably every one of the Avengers has been poked and prodded at least once."

"-And the guilt."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You hurt someone you love, and now you feel guilty about it." He replied, sitting down on the floor in front of her cell. Kenna rose off the bed and came to sit opposite him. She curled herself so she was sitting cross legged and folded her arms.

"Go on."

"You know the story of how I came to be one of the Avengers. I was taken by Hydra and turned into a mindless machine. I hurt Steve, I didn't want to. I didn't even know who he was, but deep down I know I didn't want to do it. And after, when I remembered everything I wanted to die. I didn't feel worthy of even being in the same room as him, but he forgave me. And in time I forgave myself."

"Are you implying you and Steve have the same relationship to each other that Loki and I do?"

Bucky laughed, a small smile taking over. "That's not relevant."

"That's not a no."

"That's not relevant." He repeated. His face turned serious for a moment. "Do you remember much what happened at the house?"

"I remember all of it," Kenna nodded slowly, "every second."

"Do you remember Loki asking you something?"

It was all Kenna could think about, every waking second she heard the words, and her reply.

"You may think you hurt him just by exposing him to the fire, but I want you to ask yourself what you think hurt him more." Bucky continued. "And I know for a fact, you lied."

Bucky stood to leave, fixing her with one last smile and a wave of his metal arm. Just as he started to walk away she stopped him with a few simple words. He didn't respond, only smiled to himself and walked away.

"I did lie." She repeated, whispered only to herself and the agents who were not listening.

...

"Good news Kenna," Tony took her by surprise. He appeared with Pepper just after lunch, complete with cocky grin and flapping hands. "Uncle Deano said he didn't want you punished and has agreed to cooperate to find the ones giving him the serum. Means you are free to go."

Kenna almost ran right into the glass door she was so excited. She managed to stop herself to wait for the agonisingly slow door to open before she bolted out and into Tony's arms. She hugged him tight, pulling Pepper in too.

"Thank you." She whispered.

Pepper laughed, "Tony didn't do anything." She said as Kenna pulled away.

"I mean for supporting me. I promise I won't do anything like that again."

"About that, those can come off." Tony pulled the dampeners off her wrists and tossed them to Hill, who Kenna hadn't even noticed arrive. "Also, you'll be training with Strange 7 days a week and no missions until I say you're ready. You have to control this better, you can't keep letting it control you."