XXII

Kenna spent most of the meal talking to Peter and Frigga. Every so often one of them would try and bring a Loki into the conversation but he wouldn't partake for long.

The table was pretty narrow and with Loki's long legs Kenna kept accidentally bumping her feet into his. Every time she did he would look up, she would smile and they would both look away.

The current conversation seemed to be about tattoos. Peter was saying he wanted to get one but didn't know what he would get. "I think I would like one," Kenna said. "I'm the same, I don't know what, or where."

"Among Norse legend it is said only the bravest of warriors had ink on their bodies," Frigga said, "I think you would qualify dear."

After dinner Frigga suggested dancing. Kenna was quite happy to sit on the side and watch the others twirl and spin. Until Tony came to her and reached out a hand. "What are you doing?" She asked, smiling.

"I want to dance with my daughter." Kenna rolled her eyes and placed her hand in his. There was a slow song playing and they danced it it. It reminded her of the balls she would watch on period shows. Classical music, flowing gowns and delicate dancing. Tony twirled her around while she laughed. "What happened to your neck?" He asked her, she instinctively reached a hand up to it and brushed her fingers against the raw skin.

She returned her hand to his shoulder and shook her head slightly, "it's nothing, some of the guards didn't take too lightly to be trying to steal their defence system." She laughed to lighten the atmosphere. "Really, it's fine, I don't feel anything."

"Promise you'll let Strange take a look when where home," Kenna rolled her eyes once again before finally nodding.

"Fine, but really, the intention was never to kill." She said, Tony didn't notice when she flicked her eyes over to where Loki sat with Peter at the edge of the room.

They were in the throne room and every so often Kenna would look up enough to catch a glimpse of the crystal shining above their heads. It turned slightly and shone out purple over the room. Every time she saw it she was filled with a pride, knowing that she put it there.

Tony and Kenna stopped dancing and he went to sit down again, Kenna almost followed and sat with him but she didn't. Instead she turned and walked in the opposite direction. She bundled her dress into her hand so she didn't trip and walked to where Loki and Peter sat. "I'm sorry Peter," she said, getting their attention. "I'm going to need to borrow Loki." She held out her hand for him to take. He slowly did, curiosity covering his face. "Dance with me." He understood immediately and bowed a low bow before officially holding out his hand. She rested her own on top and let him walk her to the dance floor.

They began to dance. He wrapped one arm around her waist while his other hand held hers. She brought her free hand up to his shoulder. They swirled and turned all over the floor. Despite being in a beautiful palace Kenna couldn't bring herself to look anywhere but his eyes.

"You stood up for me," he spoke quietly, head bowed close to hers, like he was sharing the worlds biggest secret with her. The rest of the room faded away. "After everything, you could have taken the toast for yourself, or mentioned my brother. You certainly had no reason to bring me into your honour with you. Odin knows I have nothing to deserve that honour."

"Loki, you once protected my honour when you didn't have to," she brought the hand from his shoulder to gently run over his cheek. "I couldn't live with myself if I knew you were locked away in some cell when there was something I could have done."

"That is my only option," came the whispered reply.

"No, Loki it's not." She smiled up at him, "you could come back to New York with us." A series of emotions passed through his eyes, never staying for more than a second. They settled on joy. "Would you? Come home with us?"

"If you are in agreement I would like nothing more." She felt his fingers on her lower back curl against the fabric of her dress, she returned her hand to his shoulder. She ran it over his shoulder and to the back of his neck, subconsciously pulling them closer. Her fingertips played with his hair and the nape of his neck. The hands that were clasped together shifted so their fingers were interlocking. Kenna broke eye contact to rest her head against his chest. She closed her eyes and listened to the soft thudding of his heartbeat.

When the song changed neither moved. Kenna moved her head again, looking back up to lock eyes with him. Slowly both leaned in. Their foreheads touched. Their noses.

When their lips touched it was nervous. Soft and light. Kenna's fingers gripped into his hair as she kissed him harder. Her other hand left his to wrap around his neck, his other hand joined the one on her back.

They broke apart, heads resting together for only a second before they resumed their kiss. This time harder, bolder. Kenna found everything she needed in that moment.

"Come with me," he whispered into her lips, eyes burning into hers. She glanced around the room. No one was watching. He moved back, away from her. An instant rush of cold overcame her when they separated. He held out his hand once more. She looked at his outstretched hand, checked the room once more before taking his hand.

As soon as she did he started walking quickly. He pulled her along behind him to a door in the side of the room. Her shoes clicked on the stones as Loki turned, walked backwards and pressed a finger to his lips to shush her. He pulled her through the door into the corridor beyond.

He pulled her against him again and resumed their kiss. She brought one hand to the side of his face and breathed into the kiss. "God I missed you."

"Not as much as I missed you." He pulled away and took off running, her hand still clasped in his, forcing her to run behind him. She laughed the whole time, skirt balled in her fist but still billowing out behind her.

They reached a tall set of dark brown wooden double doors. "Have you ever wondered where a Prince sleeps?" He stopped running in front of the door and used his other hand to push down the door handle, letting the door fall open behind him.

She walked in first, not dropping the hand that still held his. She dropped her skirt and stared in awe around the room. The room was massive, it was rounded, with furniture against the wall the door was on. In front of her was a slightly raised platform. Sitting in the middle of the platform was a huge four poster bed with black sheer curtains tied to the posts. All the furniture was the same dark wood as the door, the bed covers were green and gold.

"It's gorgeous," he spun her around so fast she landed hard against his chest. She rested her free hand over his heart.

"You truly are," she slid her hand up his chest to his neck and returned it to his hair.

"What have I told you about flattery." She smirked. He kissed her in response, bending her backwards so she had to arch her back.

Loki brought his lips to her neck and kissed the faintly bruised flesh. "I will never not be sorry for this." Kenna grabbed his face in both of her hands and forced him to look at her. She did even know what she wanted to say, but for some reason she could tell from his eyes that he already knew. He brushed her nose with his own and pressed a whisper of a kiss to her lips. "I read your letter," he breathed.

It suddenly came to her and she gasped loudly. "The page number!" He raised and eyebrow and she hit her hand off his shoulder. "The page number was written on that paper." She started laughing. "I should have known." She reached up to kiss him again, smiling against his lips. "It's true, every word I wrote. I love you."

"You could have anyone in the world. Men and women would die just to be near you, and you love me?"

"We've talked about this before. I don't want anyone else." She kissed him again. "No one can make me feel like you do." He reached behind him and pushed the door closed.

Their lips were connected again, this time neither parting for anything. He walked her backwards, nearly tripping on the step, but picking her up before they could. He put her down and pulled away. Slowly he turned her around and started in doing the ribbons on the back of her dress, pressing kissed to her shoulder.

"I love you." He said into her neck, "I am nothing without you."