26: Social Distancing

Start from the beginning

Even with their Literature class, Joshua volunteered to do the activity alone. He used the same reason he gave during yesterday's session. And in Science class, Joshua's mind was clearly wandering off.

"Joshua-hyung is really acting strange," Minghao noticed.

"I know. He is talking to us and avoiding us all at the same time," Seungkwan commented.

"He even does all of our class work on his own but he is not ignoring us completely," Mingyu sadly said.

"I really miss Joshua-hyung hanging out with us," Chan could only add.

"Let us not worry too much about it," Jun stated. "Maybe hyung just have some problems that he wants to resolve on his own or maybe it's just a phase."

In the next three days, Joshua was distant with everyone. He did all the school work alone. He spent every break time on his own, isolated from the rest of his friends. He even cried in the library for the fifth time in a row this week. He even left the university as soon as the classes ended.

However, today was slightly different. Expecting that there will be no Vampirology class today, Joshua was in the bathroom's innermost stall, crying instead of going home immediately.

"What's going on with you Joshua? You are worrying your friends."

"But I'm sure they'll understand. They'll just assume I am just having some personal problems."

"How long are you going to keep this up? It has been a week, Joshua. It's not normal."

"Can you even blame me? It hurts too much."

While Joshua was having an emotional breakdown and internal monologue, his friend once again noticed his absence.

"Has anyone seen Joshua?" Seungcheol was worried.

"Sorry, hyung. I did not notice," Jun said while Minghao sat on his lap.

"I also did not see him," Mingyu answered while his head was leaning on Wonwoo's shoulder.

"Same with me," Chan responded.

"How about you, Seungkwan and Jihoon?" Jeonghan inquired

"Sorry, hyung. I do not know," Seungkwan answered while pinching Vernon's cheeks.

"I noticed he exited the classroom as soon as Science Class ended," Jihoon recalled as he was holding on to Soonyoung's face who, in turn, was trying to steal a kiss of his cheeks. It was becoming Soonyoung's habit to kiss Jihoon's cheek.

"Really? Where could he be?" Seungcheol muttered.

Nobody complained nor noticed but the way Seungcheol and Jeonghan was worried about Joshua was highly unusual. Basically, when one had already found his soulmate, they would become extra protective of them and most of their attention would center around their soulmate. The way Jeonghan and even Seungcheol was concerned about Joshua was not normal and neither of them was being jealous as well. Usually, if your soulmate's attention was on someone else, you would feel jealously. But not a single sliver of jealously was seen in either Seungcheol or Jeonghan. However, many, including their friends, just think it was just out of friendship, nothing more, nothing less. After all, Seungcheol and Jeonghan were the eldest of their group along with Joshua. It was only natural to worry about those who were younger than you.

"Since, it seems there will be no Vampirology class, Seungcheol and I will search for him," Jeonghan said as he intertwined his hand with Seungcheol's.

Thus, Seungcheol and Jeonghan set off to search for the unstable Joshua.

"Cheollie, where could he be?" Jeonghan told Seungcheol.

"I think I have an idea where he might be," Seungcheol claimed.

"Where?"

"Do you notice anything when he returns from the library every lunchbreak during this week?"

"Yeah. His eyes are puffy," Jeonghan remembered, "Do you think..."

"Yes. I think he has been crying" Seungcheol confirmed. "And do you remember last Monday when we followed him?"

"He was going to the bathroom," Jeonghan harkened back. "Do you think he is in the bathroom?"

"There is only one way to find out."

Seungcheol and Jeonghan went to the bathroom where Joshua went last Monday. Indeed, as they entered as silently as they could, sounds of sobs and soliloquy can be faintly heard.

"He's here," Seungcheol mouthed to Jeonghan. Jeonghan simply nodded.

Following the sound of Joshua's voice, they determined which partition was Joshua in. What they didn't expect were the words that they heard from Joshua himself. Unexpectedly, they were eavesdropping on Joshua inside the bathroom.

"It's not your fault, Joshua. It's pretty normal for everyone just like you to have feelings for someone."

"Wait... Joshua likes someone?" Seungcheol whispered. Jeonghan gestured him to keep quiet.

"But I don't understand myself anymore. Every time I look at them, I feel hurt, jealous and happy all at the same time."

"And why is that?" Joshua asked himself.

"Hurt because it was not me and jealous because I want to be a part of it. But also, why is it that every time, I see them together I feel happy. I'm happy in seeing them happy. I don't understand anymore."

"And so, what can you make of it?" Joshua continued probing himself.

"Even with everything that's happening, I am still in love with both Seungcheol and Jeonghan," Joshua firmly told himself.

The last sentence shocked Seungcheol and Jeonghan - so shocked that they hastily exited the bathroom, making the door slam loudly as they left.

"Who's there?" Joshua quickly exited the stall but found the bathroom devoid of other human presence. Just then, his vision got a little blurry so he had to lean over the sink until he felt better.

On the other hand, Seungcheol and Jeonghan rushed to the stairs. Panting, they stopped midway and looked at each other.

"Did my ears deceive me?" Jeonghan said in between pants. "Did we really hear what I think we heard from Joshua?"

"Yeah," Seungcheol was still panting. "I can't believe Joshua loves both of us."