23

We approached Kyles vehicle, stopping beside it as we talked.

"Thanks by the way." I said "for helping me and Ava with the whole self defense thing."

"It's not a problem, you both need to know how to protect yourselves, besides I like spending time with you." He confessed staring in my eyes.

"Well still, thanks." I smiled giving him a hug.

He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around me tightly as he squeezed my body to his. It sounded like he took a deep breath.

"I'm glad we are friends." I smiled as I pulled away.

"Yeah me too." He said as I turned to walk away. "I wish we were more." He mumbled almost too quiet for me to hear.

I decided it was for the best to pretend I never heard it as I walked back into Riley's house and he drove away.

Kyle was great, he was fun, edgy, hot as hell, but none of that would change the fact that I loved Riley. I always would.

I sat down beside Riley at the table while Spencer and Averleigh talked about a mountain trip they wanted to take with our families.

"Mom I love going on vacation, and I love that you guys are still in love and all that, but it's a little awkward in those cabins when I always get the room next door, especially since you're not exactly quiet." Riley stated acting cool as his face turned a few shades brighter.
"Yeah my parents are the same." I agreed.

Averleigh burst into laughter as Spencer cleared his throat.
"He has a point." Spencer agreed. "What if we ran it by Zac and Bailey and got you guys your own cabin?" He said as if talking to us, but only focusing on Averleigh.

"Spence I .. they're still young."
"Honey, they spent a whole week together in Hawaii and they spend every night together anyway. It really isn't any different." He tried to convince her and internally I hoped it worked.

After a few minutes we got up to clear our plates when she sighed "I guess you're right, I'll talk to Bailey. I mean November is still a few months away."

On the outside I was as cool and collected as I had been when we were talking about going back to school, but on the inside I was bursting at the seams with happiness.

Once the plates were cleared, rinsed and loaded in the dishwasher, me and Riley went up to his room where we always hung out before bed.

He closed the door and grabbed my hands pushing his body against mine as I leaned on the wall beside the door.

"I do believe you have some making up to do!" He smirked playfully.

"Hmmm, I guess I did say that." I teased resting my elbows on his shoulders and running my fingers through his hair.

His hands were resting on my waist as we locked eyes and just stood in the moment. I thought about telling him what Kyle had said, but I really didn't think it would do any good since I had no intention of acknowledging it.

I leaned my head forward parting my lips in anticipation of the kiss that would surely follow. The air was thicker, hotter somehow as we both prolonged actual skin to skin contact.

"You know we still have to plan our trip." He breathed.
"Yeah, but we need to talk to our parents first."
"What if I told you I had already mentioned it to our dads?"
"You did what?" I gasped "Wait is that why your dad suggested the cabin?" I asked as Riley grinned. "God I love you!" I pressed my lips to his finally.

After a few moments I pulled back.
"What is it?" He asked.
"Well, what did they say?"
"Oh right, well our dads are fine with it as long as we don't go too far. I think the words used by your dad were 'you better take care of my baby because me and your dad are already saving for your wedding after you graduate' which honestly was the most awkward part." He grinned as his arms ran up and down my back.

"Wait what about mom?"
"Oh my dad and yours said they would handle it and just to let my dad know where we wanted to go. So I guess we need to figure it out."

I immediately pulled away from him and ran to the bed sitting down cross legged and grabbing his laptop. I would make it up to him later, but for now I was way too excited to plan our trip.

"So what do you think of the mountains? I know we are all going in November but I think it's super romantic, plus we could go to one of the cabins that's only like an hour away so our parents won't worry." I smiled as I typed in cabins near me to the google search.

Riley grinned and sat beside me as we scrolled through various cabins that weren't too far away. We found the perfect one, it was small with a cute fireplace, a bathtub with jets and a hot tub outside.

"This ones perfect!" I said as he kissed my cheek.
"Anywhere I go with you will be." He grinned before taking the computer downstairs for a few minutes.

When he returned he was still smiling as he set the computer down on the desk and climbed into bed.

"Dad got it booked. In four weeks we will have the whole weekend to ourselves!" He announced wrapping his arm around my shoulder as I leaned into his chest.

"I can't wait." I replied closing my eyes and breathing him in.

Now that it was booked the nerves had finally hit about what our trip would entail and the only way I knew how to calm myself was to hold tight to Riley.

Sure it was strange that the person causing the anxiety was also the person to fix it, but I couldn't help it. I was like the health addict that couldn't go a day without the gym, or the mom that couldn't start a day without coffee, or the kid that needed cake to feel good. Riley was my drug of choice, my way of starting and ending my day without fear or anguish.

I laid beside him breathing in and out, in and out as I took in his smell to relax myself. My hand was resting over his chest as it moved up and down repetitively.

"I love you so much!" He murmured as I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep in his arms.

We were a tangled mess of bodies by morning. Riley was facing me as our legs wrapped around each other and his arms held me to his chest. To anyone else it may look suspicious, as if we were finishing up some scandalous intimacy, but for us it was just comforting.

That morning Averleigh was all smiles as she made pancakes in the kitchen. Anna, Sophie and Shane were all sat at the table as we joined them.

"Morning." I smiled as I took a seat.
"Hey." Anna grinned. "What are you guys up too?"
"Actually I think we are going hiking today?" I replied as Riley's eyes widened.
"Yeah, um... hiking." He agreed as Averleigh set down a fresh stack of pancakes.

I hadn't mentioned to Riley that I wanted to go hiking, but I didn't think it would be a big deal since we hadn't spent much time alone with all the self defense training and group gatherings.

"Well that sounds fun, is it just you two or are Kyle and Ava going?" Averleigh asked as Anna glanced over at us.

"I mean I can ask them." Riley said as he pulled out his phone.
"Actually..." I cut him off grabbing his hand. "I though we could just go?"
"Oh, yeah... sure." He hesitated awkwardly.

I brushed it off for now and poured an unhealthy amount of syrup on my pancakes as Anna pouted.

"What's up Anna?" I asked.
"Nothing, I just didn't get to do much this summer and I really love hiking." She sighed.

I didn't usually feel guilty when we didn't invite Anna to stuff because she was younger, but for some reason this time was different. I knew I had taken Riley pretty much all summer and that she loved spending time with us.

With Anna it wasn't awkward having someone else around. She never felt like the third wheel because we were all family and got along great.

Regardless I still wanted to say no, apologize and promise her she could come next time. Surely she had friends she could hang out with. Unfortunately the nagging in my head kept telling me that the right thing to do was to bring her along.

"Well, I guess you could come, but only you!" I added.
"Really?" She asked as her pout turned to a smile.
"Yeah I mean why not?" I shrugged as Riley took my hand under the table and gave it a squeeze.

This my day of hiking with Riley now included Anna. It couldn't be that bad, right? Anna was family and family sticks together.