17

The first few days after the party were pretty hard on me. I had gone home and spent a few days there with Riley so my parents wouldn't get suspicious, but I knew they could tell something was wrong even if they didn't ask.

I didn't leave the house without Riley or one of my parents for almost a week. Even then it was limited to brief outings or to go from one house to the other.

There was another party this weekend and I had already told Ava I was not going. She had begged me to at least go shopping with her to help her get a new outfit if I wasn't going to come. I wasn't sure about it until she very bluntly reminded me I had promised her some girl time.

Riley had gone one a day trip with his dad to some sports memorabilia museum which I couldn't really complain about since he spent the rest of his time with me, but I still missed him.

I still felt uncomfortable but I got dressed anyway. Riley had given me some money to buy a new outfit, or as he called it a 'feel good suit', and I was actually a little excited to get something new, even though my anxiety was through the roof.

I was pulling my hair into a ponytail when Ava texted me to tell me she was here. I quickly grabbed my purse and said bye to my mom before heading outside.

I was surprised to see Ava sitting up in a black Chevy truck. It wasn't flashy but it wasn't old either. It was maybe a few years old, but it was clear that it was well maintained.

Ava yelled at me and I climbed in the back seat before I noticed that Kyle was driving.

"What's the eye roll for back there princess?" He asked.
"First of all I'm not a princess and second I didn't realize girl time included guys." I replied looking out the window.
"I'm just the chauffeur, plus your boyfriend thought it was a good idea in case that jerk runs into you both." He said.

I snapped my eyes back to the rear view where he had been looking at me.
"Riley asked you to come?" I asked.
"Yeah, he called Ava and asked to talk to me, wanted to thank me for helping at the party and then asked if I keep an eye on you both." He said without any attitude, just honesty.

"Oh." I replied.
"So what's the deal with that guy anyway? Jealous ex or something?" He asked genuinely.

Ava began laughing hysterically in the front. "Jealous maybe, Ex boyfriend, he wishes! He's just mad that Britt turned him down a few years ago and started dating Riley." She continued to laugh.

Obviously she was underestimating the situation, but her explanation was sufficient since even she didn't know the details other than I turned him down.

"Well either way he got lucky he didn't get his ass beat. Your boyfriend, sorry I guess I should use his name, Riley was pissed when I told him that guy was grabbing you."

"You told him?" I asked.

"Yeah he was about to beat the shit out of the guy that shoved you when I saw that guy grab you on my way to the bathroom. I guess he thought you were still behind him because when I told him he seemed like he was about to kill someone."

"Well thanks." I said.

It seemed I had misjudged him a little. I thought he was arrogant and self centered when we met that night. Not to mention is sarcastic tone really irritated me. Now I felt like maybe that's who he was, sarcastic with a serious side where it counted.

The rest of the trip was spent with Ava blabbering about how excited she was for this party and how she was still sad I wasn't coming.

"Ava I told you I have to have dinner with my parents tonight, they've been bugging me since I don't stay home much. I think me and Riley only stayed twice since we got back from vacation." I explained.