Chapter Thirty-Six: King and Queen

Cassie wished she was clothed in a better outfit to the announcement of the homecoming court.

She thought of all of the cute clothes that she had in her closet. That new blue dress she had gotten from the mall would have been perfect to wear for tonight. Or maybe that new leather skirt and white shirt would be a cute pair?

Instead, she was wearing the football uniform. The tight pants and ugly jersey didn't do her body justice like her other outfits would. She looked like a small boy instead of a nominee for homecoming queen. Every time the photographers snapped pictures, it made her feel worse about what she was clothed in.

Correction. It was even worse when she walked towards the center of the field and all eyes were on her. They were probably looking at how skinny her legs were in the white leggings... or... shit! Cassie said to herself. I'm on my period and I'm wearing white leggings. What if I leaked? My tampons aren't the most reliable. Fuck. Why do our school colors have to be turquoise and white? If there's a huge red spot in the back of my pants, I'm going to pass away.

Another complaint to the list was that she and her brother were both standing next to each other wearing the same uniform. They looked like twins! That was Crystal's job, not hers.

Max was the last to be called onto the field. He walked alongside his father, waving to the crowd as if he was famous. Cassie sighed, just wanting the results to be announced so she could get on with her life.

Juliana was feeling the opposite. She was not nearly as calm as her friend. She was practically shaking thinking about the results. It made her beyond nervous. She wasn't sure why she cared so much about the results. Maybe she just wanted to win at something?

She made eye contact with Jake before they both smiled at each other. She felt comforted with him by her side.

"The results are in," said the announcer. Everyone stood apprehensively on the field. "Starting with West Coral's king, in third place we have..." the microphone picked up the envelope opening. The suspense was building as they waited for a name to be called. "Trevor Mendez!"

Trevor let out a breath of air before a smile formed on his face. Cassie and her parents were cheering for him as Brittany jumped up and down. He couldn't believe he ranked after he was so nervous no one would vote for him with Jake and Jordan in the running. He felt great about himself.

He was rewarded with a sash and flowers before walking back to his parents and his sister. They looked so proud of him.

"In second place we have..." the announcer said as the suspense continued. Jake and Jordan were on the edge of their seat waiting for the name to be called. "Jake Flemming!"

"Yes!" Juliana exclaimed as Jake felt relieved. Like Trevor, he received a sash and flowers. He smiled at her before turning to Jordan, who was clapping excitedly for his best friend.

"And for this year's homecoming king..." the announcer paused for a dramatic effect, opening the envelope. Cassie was already preparing herself to cheer for her boyfriend. "Jordan Evans!"

The crowd was roaring as Jordan accepted the sash and flowers before getting crowned by Toby. He turned back to the contestants, excitedly turning to Cassie who was cheering loudly for him.

"Now for West Coral's queen," the announcer said as the girls started to grow nervous. Brittany held the crown in her hands, praying she would bestow it to someone special. "In third place we have..." he paused. "Mariposa Vacazamora!"

Juliana felt relieved she didn't rank third place for the second year in a row. She prayed she was next.

"In second place we have..." she started to cross her fingers as she anticipated her name to be called. "Juliana Hartley!"

Jake clapped loudly for her as she gladly accepted the sash and flowers. She felt happy that she was able to make it up a rank from last year.

"And this year's homecoming queen is..." the crowd went silent as everyone waited to hear the results. Cassie zoned out for a second before realizing where she was. Trevor was clapping already, knowing they were going to announce his sister. "Cassie Mendez."

Cassie couldn't believe the results. She wasn't sure who voted for her as queen, but she wasn't complaining. It felt nice to be noticed for once instead of feeling like she stood in the shadows of her siblings. Brittany excitedly crowned her best friend before the two of them shared a hug. Jordan was cheering for her along with the crowd who was just as excited. Brittany and Toby high-fived, satisfied with the results this year.

Cassie's father pulled her into a hug. He was so proud of his youngest daughter and all of her accomplishments that school year. She continued to impress him on the daily. "Congrats, baby. I knew you would win."

She sunk into her father's arms with a smile on her face. "I love you, dad."

And at that moment, she forgot she was wearing an ugly outfit to be crowned queen. The only thing that mattered was that she felt loved. Everyone was cheering for her. It was a special moment that she would never forget.

"I told you we'd win this year," Jordan said to her before they shared a hug.

"I'm so excited!" She exclaimed. "Now I'm going to have exciting kicks during the game," she said, exemplifying her wild kicks.

Cassie's kicks weren't nearly as wild as she showed Jordan, instead, they were clean and successful. West Coral ended the homecoming game with a win.

With no party planned that night due to homecoming that next day, Juliana wondered what her friend's plans were. She stepped down from the bleachers after the game, sharing another excited hug with Cassie before speaking. "What are you doing to celebrate?"

"Jordan and I are going to get pancakes," she told her.

Juliana laughed at the randomness of their plans. That was on target for Cassie, though. She would always be the most random person she knew. "That's fun. I'm not sure what I'm doing."

"Celebrate with Jake," she suggested, pointing to her friend's boyfriend standing a little ways from them. He was chatting with his father.

He then met eyes with Juliana, ending the conversation with his father to approach her. "Hey," he smiled. "I'm proud we both got second place."

"Me too," she smiled back. "What do you want to do to celebrate?"

He chuckled. "I already made plans for us," he informed her. She was confused, not sure what he was talking about. Did she miss something? "You'll see."

Juliana followed him to his car with the same confused expression on her face, preparing herself for whatever he had planned for the two of them.

It then started to make sense to her when she saw the rose petals spread across his on his bed.

"I told you I wanted to make it special," he said as she smiled. "And I figured tonight would be perfect because we have something to celebrate and my family won't be home for a few hours," he explained as she started to blush. "As long as you're still okay with that?"

She nodded. "Yes. Thank you."

"Good," he said before turning off the lights and making his way over to her.

He pressed his lips down on hers as the two of them kissed with passion. Everything was perfect. Juliana wouldn't have had the night go any other way.

And the rest was history.