Chapter Twenty-Eight: Skinny Dip

Just as Brittany promised, that Monday night she picked Cassie up on her large boat. Juliana tagged along with the fun as they sailed out to sea.

The sun was just about setting in the sky as the girls were singing to the music blasting from the speaker. It felt like a nice getaway from reality, which was much needed for all of them. It had been quite the eventful school year.

When they anchored at their favorite spot, Brittany pulled out the White Claws. What was a boat ride without them? Cassie didn't hesitate to take the drink from her hands, feeling thankful she offered. Juliana, on the other hand, was much more reluctant to drink on a Monday night.

"Don't be such a wuss, Juliana," Brittany taunted as she practically shoved the drink in her face. "It's not vodka. You aren't going to get wasted," she taunted again as she and Cassie laughed. "We're supposed to be having fun tonight. Don't bring down the mood."

Juliana playfully rolled her eyes as she accepted the drink. She knew no wasn't an answer when it came to Brittany. "And don't be so mean, Brittany."

At that point in their friendship, they could say whatever they wanted to each other without taking offense. They had already gotten most insults off their chest. Their feelings no longer got hurt when it came to each other. "Now that's the energy I love to hear!" She exclaimed before cracking open her White Claw and taking a swig.

Cassie followed after her, almost finishing her drink. Juliana was still not on the same wavelength as the two of them as she was only taking small sips.

A few drinks in and the sky was already dark. Periodically, one or two boats would pass them, but other than that, they were alone at sea. It was peaceful at night. Their privacy sparked an idea in Brittany, who wanted to intensify the fun.

"Let's skinny dip,"

"Holy fuck yes," Cassie screeched as she stood, hovering over her best friend with an excited expression on her face. Doing something spontaneous and out of the norm was something she never knew she needed until that moment.

Brittany excitedly stood, doing as suggested and untying the front of her bikini top. Cassie did the same as she reached to unhook the back of her top. Juliana yet again wasn't on the same page as them as she shyly pulled down her bottoms.

They jumped into the water, feeling the cold temperature hit their nude bodies. They were having so much fun together that they forgot about all of the struggles in their life as sixteen year olds. They forgot they had school the next morning. They forgot about the homework they had to do or the upcoming tests. Brittany forgot about losing Toby, and Cassie forgot about the rough times in her life that had caused her to stress.

But most importantly, for the first time since that summer, Cassie felt alive.

And she also felt happy.

The two feelings she had craved for were finally starting to come true.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Brittany was standing in the center of the gym during homecoming committee that Tuesday afternoon, making sure everyone was staying on task and doing what they were supposed to.

"Brittany Rivera!" Said the deep and familiar voice she would have rather not heard from again.

She turned around with a fake smile on her face. "Parker Hughes!" She exclaimed in an annoyed tone. He held multiple paintbrushes in his hands as there were shades of purple paint on his forehead and hands. "I'm surprised you even signed up for homecoming committee. I wasn't sure you had free time to spare away from Lex."