Chapter Seventeen: Big News

Cassie was casually scrolling through Snapchat private stories at the kitchen table when she landed on Brittany's. The entire left side of her face was bruised and scratched up. She studied it for a little, feeling terrible for her best friend.

"That doesn't look good," Trevor said from behind her. She jumped out of her skin, not expecting anyone to be standing there. She thought she was alone in the kitchen. "Is she okay?"

Cassie nodded her head, trying to slow her breathing. "She's fine. It looks like it hurts, though."

"Oh," her brother said as he poured himself a glass of water. "She's so fucking hot."

"Hey!" She exclaimed at his abrupt comment. His eyes met hers as he chuckled. "Don't say that around Toby."

He shrugged his shoulders, not caring who knew. "I'm just stating the truth," he said before taking a sip of his water.

Cassie rolled her eyes at her brother's comments about her best friend. She found it funny they were having this conversation, especially after he wasn't a big fan of Brittany last year. It was funny how "she's so annoying" turned into "she's so hot."

She felt her phone buzz in her hands as she turned to look at the notification. It was from Alivia. Her heart was racing in her chest as she read the text: hi i'm outside your house. are you home? i really need to talk to you.

She was quick to stand from the chair, the text making her jumpy. She slipped on her shoes before exiting her house. When she outside, she saw Alivia's silver car which she could just hardly make out in the dark.

She watched as Alivia stepped out of the car before walking towards her in silence. She didn't greet her as she normally would. Usually, she'd be chirpy and friendly, waving excitedly as her hair bounced with her every motion. This time, she was solemn. Her difference in attitude confused Cassie.

"Hi," Cassie greeted as she watched her friend walk up the driveway. Her thoughts traveled to Giovanni's words, telling her that Alivia's summer would make her upset, and she knew she had something to worry about. Her anxiety immediately kicked in as she watched her friend walk closer to her. "It's late. Are you okay?"

Alivia didn't answer. She couldn't answer. She was too nervous to say anything. Cassie noticed her complexion turning white as a bedsheet through the luminance of the outdoor lanterns against her garage door. She began to grow worried about what might have happened that summer, and was rapidly jumping to conclusions. Every terrible scenario she could think of rushed into her thoughts. She started to feel sick to her stomach when she watched Alivia cry in front of her, which told her that her friend was in fact not okay.

Giovanni was right. She was too naive to believe that he was spreading rumors just to make her anxious. All he was doing was telling the truth, and she appreciated his warning now more than ever. She knew whatever happened to Alivia that summer involved her. Her tears and nervous state said it all.

"What happened?" Cassie whispered, trying to get something out of her friend who was crying her eyes out. The longer this dragged out, the more anxious she became. She couldn't bear to wait for the news any longer.

She feared for the worst. She had no idea what could have happened, but she knew something didn't end well. First, she was concerned that Alivia was crying. Second, she was concerned for her family, her friends, and Jordan. Did something happen that involved them and she didn't know? Were people keeping secrets from her?