Chapter Twenty-Six: Carefree Drives

"Jake!" Juliana cried as she ran through his backyard. He was cleaning up his boat that was docked in the canal. "Jake!" She screamed again.

He looked up once hearing her screams, watching as she sprinted down his boat dock as if she was being chased by alligators. He shook his head as he continued to clean, not very excited to see her. "I don't want to talk to you right now."

She was sobbing when she tried to explain what happened that night. "I was locked in the closet. I had no idea you were planning something for me."

She realized she sounded crazy letting those words fall from her mouth, but she hoped he would believe over her. She couldn't let Lola get her way.

"Okay," he said in a sarcastic tone. As he said, he was in no mood to talk to her.

"Really," she said, standing on the edge of the boat dock feeling hopeless. Her arms dangled at her sides. "Lola tricked me and took my phone."

Jake rolled his eyes as he put down the trash bag, annoyed. He didn't know much longer he could continue to hear her fictitious story. "Seriously, Juliana? Can you stop? I'm trying to clean."

"I wish I saw what you did," she said through her tears. "I would have been so excited," she said again. "I wish Lola didn't interfere and lock me in the closet. Brittany told me that she found out and got jealous."

His face fell as he took in what she said. "You're not joking, are you?" He questioned as she shook her head. He scoffed, feeling stupid that he would ever believe someone he hardly knew over someone he loved. "Holy fuck, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," she said quietly.

He then laughed. "The closet, though? Damn. I'm sorry," he said as she laughed through her tears. "It's not every day that you get trapped in the closet. So, sorry that I didn't believe you right away."

"I don't blame you," she said, shaking her head in disbelief. "I know that you and I are both sick of childish things getting in between us."

"Yeah,"

"You're not mad, right?" She asked, standing apprehensively as she waited for his answer.

He chuckled. "How could I be? What were you supposed to do from the closet? It's all good."

"Okay," she smiled, cautiously stepping off the boat dock and onto the boat. She was quick to pull him into a tight embrace, taking him by surprise, but he hugged her back. "I'm going to pretend what you had planned is still here. Thank you for thinking of me."

"I'm always thinking about you," he told her as he pulled her closer to his chest. "All that matters is that you're here. Fuck whatever I had planned for you."

She pulled away, her arms still around him as she looked into his eyes. She smiled up at him. "I don't want anything or anyone to ever get between us again," she stated as he nodded. "I love you too much to lose you to some girl who doesn't know a thing about you."

"I know," he agreed. "I mean... we're young. We're in high school. Things happen. But we know better now."

She nodded her head. "So," she said before letting out a laugh. "Does that mean you'll take me back?"

He playfully rolled his eyes, finding her question comical. "You already knew my answer," he said as she beamed at him. "I love you."

"I love you more," she said before standing on her toes to kiss him.

He kissed her like she was his drug and he needed her to survive. It had been two weeks too long that they'd been separated. Her lips against his were something he had been craving since the night they broke up.

He missed her. He never wanted to miss her again.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

That Saturday, Max drove down the backroads, good music blasting from the car speaker. All of the windows were down as everyone's hair was blowing in different directions. It gave them a taste of summer. It felt like a dose of serotonin.

He thought taking the car out for a spin would be the perfect remedy to cure Brittany's heartbreak. Giovanni tagged along, sitting in the front seat as he screamed to every word of the song. Trevor sat in the backseat with Brittany, sticking his hands out the window, feeling the wind between his fingers.

Brittany unbuckled her seatbelt, sticking her head out of the sunroof. She raised her hands in the air, feeling free. It had been a long time since she had felt that happy. She felt like she could take on any challenge that arose.

Trevor followed after her, holding onto the roof of the car for support so he didn't fall. He too felt alive as the wind blew through his blond hair.

And being with Brittany made him feel happier. She had the energy he was always craving in a girl. She was outspoken, determined, communicative, a natural leader - but he knew she had a soft side. He knew she really cared about the people close to her and would do anything for them. He knew she was passionate about the things she loved and had many interests. She wasn't just a beautiful face to him. He saw more of her even if he was still getting to know all of her sides.

To him, she was the full package.

Her big smile made his entire face light up. She looked so happy singing along to the music as they drove down the secluded road. Watching her look so happy made him feel even happier than he already was. It was a great feeling to vibe off of her energy.

She was addicting. She was like a drug. He wanted to know more and more about her. He already knew some of the things she liked - homemade salad, any food that was gluten free, good fashion, tanning, caring for friends, and White Claws on the boat. He liked everything about her. He didn't think she had any flaws. She was the definition of perfection.

He was well aware of the drama with Toby. Brittany had explained to him that it was the right person at the wrong time - but he thought differently. What if she thought he was the right person because he was better than Parker and Jordan? What if he was the right person for her, she just never thought about it?

As much as he loved Toby, who was one of his best friends, he had to thank him for putting the most beautiful face and personality back on the market. And while she was single for the time being, he planned to make a move and grab her while he could.

Brittany moved the hair that was blowing in her face, continuing to sing the song as she turned to look at Trevor. He was smiling at her. She stopped singing once meeting his blue eyes, smiling back.

They looked at each other for a few seconds, taking in the moment. They both came familiar with each other's blue eyes, falling in love with the color.

Trevor leaned closer to her, and when she didn't pull away, he gently grabbed her face with his hand. He pressed his lips down on hers, not minding that her hair was blowing in his face. She kissed him back, feeling the same way he felt.

Everything about the kiss was perfect. The location. The song. Their lips weren't connected for long - it was short and sweet - but it left the two of them craving more. They liked each other as much as they liked the kiss.

Brittany was starting to realize that her breakup with Toby wasn't a bad thing. It led her to Trevor, and she was excited he was now apart of her life as not just her best friend's older brother, but someone she had a connection with.