Chapter Thirty-One: It's Too Late

On Sunday evening, Brittany and her parents sat at the patio table in their backyard, awaiting Becky and her new boyfriend's arrival.

There was expensive wine, seafood, and gourmet dishes on the table. Madison asked the personal chiefs for only the most appetizing food for the arrival of her eldest daughter. The thought of her daughter's boyfriend being unimpressed with the eatery made her nervous. She didn't want to be a bad hostess.

The loud sounds of the drilling and banging coming from the front yard were making Madison even more nervous than she already was. She didn't want her daughter's new boyfriend to get the wrong impression of their family because of the unappealing noises. The sound was very distracting, making her struggle to think to herself. Brittany was the total opposite, blocking out the noises as she was texting unfazed.

"Jesus... Diego," Madison said as she shook her head, trying her hardest to block out the shrieking of the drill. "The yard work is seriously so loud."

Her husband agreed. "I know, Mad, but think about the beautiful front walkway we'll have soon."

"My god. It better look good," she answered before taking a swig of her wine. She would finally be able to focus beside the pool until the next project.

Meanwhile, a black SUV pulled into the driveway. Madison's eye caught the car, and she was quick to set down her wine in excitement, standing up from the chair before running towards her daughter. "Becky, baby! I've missed you so much."

Becky greeted her family, pulling them into a group hug. She then pointed to her boyfriend behind her. "This is Josh."

"Josh!" Madison beamed, meeting eyes with the good looking boy in front of her. He had dark skin and dark hair, stood at about six-three, and was noticeably muscular. "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Madison."

He shook her hand. Her Gucci belt was one of the first things he noticed about her. "Madison. Nice to meet you," he greeted before turning to her father.

Brittany's eyes carefully followed his hand. She watched as he met hands with her father, who was huge on firm handshakes. He judged every man on that. If her sister really liked this guy, she hoped she warned him.

"Diego," he introduced, shaking his daughter's boyfriend's hand. Brittany was satisfied. It looked firm to her.

"Diego," Josh repeated with a smile on his face. He then turned to Brittany. "And you must be Becky's little sister. I've heard so much about you."

She shook his hand. It was confirmed. His handshake was in fact firm. Thank god, Brittany thought to herself. For the safety of Josh. Thank god. "It's nice to meet you."

"Shall we eat?" Suggested Madison, fearing the food would get swarmed with flies if they waited any longer.

Becky nodded. "Sure. I'm starved."

As they made their way towards the table, Brittany grabbed her sister's arm which stopped her from walking any further. "Really, Becky?" She questioned, eyeing her sister up and down. "You know what they say about J names!"

"Relax!" Her sister hissed, not finding her comment very appropriate at a time like this. All she wanted was support from her little sister. "Don't act like you didn't fuck two guys with a J name."

Brittany rolled her eyes at her sister's comeback before following their parents to the table. Madison poured Brittany a glass of wine as Josh spoke. "Wow. The food looks great."

Madison sighed with relief. "Thank you, Josh. I had it imported from the Mediterranean Sea," she said as his eyes widened, trying to decipher if she was making a joke. It wasn't every day that he heard someone say that. "Also, please disregard the horrid noises coming from the construction. We're in the works of a new front walkway and it's quite loud, as you can tell."