Chapter Twenty-Two: Student Athlete

Student athlete of the month Luke Garcia stood in front of the golf ball at his feet. He took a few deep breaths of preparation before taking a hard and quick swing at the ball, watching as it flew across the golf course.

As he turned around to walk back to his golf cart and drive towards where his ball landed, he heard clapping coming from behind him. "Perfect swing," said the high-toned voice. "But expected from the student athlete of the month."

To Luke's surprise, he met eyes with the girl he used to call his girlfriend - Cassie. His confused expression was quick to switch to fearful as he took multiple steps away from her.

This wasn't the first time he had seen her since they broke up a year ago. She was impossible to avoid, especially since they went to the same school, had mutual friends, and shared similar interests, like golf. But Luke made the smart decisions to quit working at her family's restaurant, quit the football team for golf to avoid her father, and distance himself from their mutual friends. Seeing her was less constant, but it didn't mean they didn't run into each other doing things they used to do together.

"Thanks," he said softly as he continued to step away from her. At that point, they were standing at least fifteen feet apart. He anxiously looked around the golf course in fear someone was looking at them. "Why are you talking to me? I can't be seen with you."

"Relax," she said as she stepped closer to him. He gulped, fearing for his life. He felt the sweat trickling down from his forehead. "I didn't file a restraining order against you."

"If someone sees us together and your parents' find out, you will," he said, his voice trembling at the thought. Her parents' turned into the scariest people he knew after the breakup. "I've already made mistakes, Cassie. I can't make another one."

She laughed to herself. "Hopefully you're counting having sex with Alivia as one of your mistakes."

He turned away from her as he nodded his head. "Yeah, I am," he answered as he wiped the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. He turned around to step into his golf cart. "I'm glad to see you're still golfing and didn't stop because I taught you how to swing."

She fake smiled as he started the engine of the golf cart. "And I'm glad to see you're acting more mature. Good for you." Her backhanded compliment made him chuckle. "You need to be mature to be a good father... so thankfully you're adapting that now."

"Father?" He questioned as he turned to look at her. She laughed instead of answering him. She found it funny how he and Alivia kept it a secret that they had sex, but now she was the one who knew about the positive pregnancy test before him. "What do you mean?"

She smiled before stepping away from his cart. "Ask Alivia."

Luke furrowed his eyebrows, bewildered by her response. He didn't have a clue about what she was referring to.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

"Happy Monday!" Brittany exclaimed, startling Lola who was standing at her locker attempting to wake up. "Just a friendly reminder that there's only one month until homecoming. Find a date!" She exclaimed again as Lola rolled her eyes. "And also, sign up for homecoming committee if you want. I'm running it again this year."

She handed Lola a flyer with a smile on her face. She took the flyer out of her hand, reading the details. She then looked back up at Brittany. "I'll join," she said. "But that doesn't mean I like you."

"I don't give a fuck if you don't," she laughed before turning around. As she was about to hand the flyers to Jake and Juliana, she was interrupted by the two of them gazing at each other. She watched as Jake handed his ex-girlfriend another iced coffee. Brittany felt like gagging. "Jesus... just get back together. You're kissing her ass a little too much, Jake," she hissed as they both turned to look at her with widened eyes. "I heard makeup sex is so good. Y'all should try it sometime."