Chapter 21 - Fire

Talks of "how its useless to adopt teenagers" because they are "too old" to be raised. Which isn't true so-

You did in fact have to bring Aria back to the orphanage but the second you did, Aaron kissed your neck and told you to go for it. He knew exactly what you were thinking and you couldn't help but smile about it. 

"Aria this is why we say, stay with us. A 15-year-old girl cannot be independent." One of the ladies scolded the girl as she walked into a room with her head down. You followed behind and the lady swallowed hard before shutting the door and sitting at her desk, "Agent I apologize for her behavior, I swear we take great care of her."

"I'm not here for that. Uhm- I'm actually wondering.." You didn't know how to word this, you felt awkward to be frank. "I would like to adopt Aria," you just blurted and both their heads snapped to you.

"Are you sure?" The lady nervously chuckled, "we have toddlers, children, adopting a teenager defeats the purpose of adoptions don't you think?"

"I have spent months with Aria. She's like a daughter to me and I wouldn't want anyone else, ma'am," your patience grew thin with how she worded that, no one took Bella in because she was a teenager and if it wasn't for the age difference you'd be in foster care. It enraged you that people didn't care about the teenagers who would grow up and have to live on their own, without a parental figure of any kind.

"You're the girl who was kidnapped with her weren't you?" 

"That's none of your business. Do you have paperwork here or not."

~~~

A few days later after court cases and such, you got to take Aria home. Aaron and Jack quickly made the guest bedroom Aria's but let her decorated it however she felt. When you brought her home she felt out of place, but you all made her feel right at home. 

Her and Nala got along quickly after Aria proved she didn't try to murder Jack. Jack was anything but disappointed when he found out, he was eager to see Aria again and even more eager to invite her to our family. The first night she stayed over she didn't eat much due to her stomach adaptation, but you didn't mind.

It had been the third night since her arrival and you couldn't sleep so you sat in bed scrolling through Instagram, noticing Derek was active on it as well but you said nothing. You chuckled softly at the teams posts, missing them a lot right now. You looked at the time and wondered if it would be too early to call, but it was five am in the morning.

You stood up from the bed carefully, the padding of your feet meeting the soft carpet while you typed in the number, padding down the stairs and slipping on your shoes before going outside and hitting call. You pressed the box up to your ear and it rang three times before the other line clicked.

"Erin Strauss."

"It's Y/N.." You hesitated and almost didn't want to have this conversation, but you needed to be back at the BAU. No one was going to stop you this time.

"Y/N L/N, how can I help you dear?" She's in a good mood, guess I called her at the right time, "Miss Y/N?"

"Sorry, got the chills. I had an important question and I know I'll probably have to do the evaluation and everything again but I wanted to ask-"

"Just come in Monday for tests and things and you'll receive your gun and badge," she interrupted you and you heard papers flipping around and flying back and forth in the background. 

"W-wait, seriously?"

"One condition."

"Anything." You were worried about said condition but you figured if she was in a good mood it wouldn't be anything drastic or horrible. This new mood really suited her, maybe she got over her ex-husband finally.

"You must go to a therapist every other week and once every month for three months you must see a doctor about your past injuries. I'll set up an appointment Wednesday for you to check in and get a professional point of view if you should return."

"Damn it," you had avoided any doctors that would help you period because you worried they would tell you something you'd dislike. She caught you and no doubt won this round because as you said, you'd do anything to get your job back; you sighed, your breath turning into fog before turning into nothing as it left your mouth. "Alright, deal."

"Good, I'll see you Monday, Agent L/N." She addressed you in a way that made you smile before you hung up. You took a few moments of silence and along time, taking in the mixture of chilly and warm air as it swooped passed your legs. You just remembered you were in shorts and Aaron t-shirt that stopped at your thighs, so you went inside.

Closing the sliding door, you locked it and set your phone on the counter knowing you wouldn't go to sleep again. You turned on the coffee pot to warm up, making soft noises but it was drowned out by the fridge screaming. Even with all that, it was nice and silent around the house other than the white noise. 

You closed your eyes for a second before you snapped them wide open when your ears picked up a scream. You paused for a second to make sure it wasn't in your head and you saw Jack open his door, which he was never up out of bed this early.

You sprinted upstairs and swung Aria's bedroom door open and quickly pulled her to your arms when your instinct told you to without processing why she was screaming. You sensed no danger in the house nor the room so you didn't bother looking around as you rubbed her back and held her close. 

You had wondered the first night she stayed if she suffered from nightmares but nothing came up until tonight. "Aria it isn't real, you're okay." you soothed her and watched Aaron walk in in a panic, easing when he laid eyes on you. Not only did the scream worry him, you weren't even in bed and for a split second he assumed the worst. 

Aria's sobs slowed down until you looked at her and realized Jack fell asleep on one side of her bed while he hugged her and Aria passed out in your arms. Aaron walked over to you and sat behind you carefully, rubbing your back gently. "I don't need comfort, Aar. I didn't have a nightmare."

"You always need comfort miss love language being touch," he wrapped his arms around you from behind and you leaned on him, him leaning against the bed post. Aria's head rested in your lap, her hair all around her head and Jack's a mess from sleeping hard. You don't know when you fell asleep, but you did against Aaron's chest; the four of you in a tangle of sleep all to comfort Aria and one another, but neither of you cared.

You woke up to the sound of giggling, looking at the door and noticing Sean and David taking pictures acting like teenage boys. You wondered if Sean was still a teenage boy some days though. "Really? How'd you even get in?" You kept your voice quiet and rolled your eyes when Sean held up his keys.

There was no way you'd be able to slip out without waking up either Aria or Aaron; so you chose to wake up Aaron. He jerked awake and took notice where he was and you were already out the bedroom door. He hopped up and followed you three downstairs where Sean took it upon himself to finish everyone's coffee.

"What are you two doing here?" You asked while sitting on the couch in front of Aaron, leaning against his chest, tired as hell. 

"We wanted to see you two."

The conversation between you four lasted a few minutes before they ended up leaving with their goodbye's, you inviting David to the wedding dress appointment; you two had talked about him possibly walking you down the aisle, and he had said he'd be thrilled to. You and Aaron went back to your room, before you prepared yourself for his reaction.

"Oh, Aaron. I need to tell you something,"

"You're pregnant."

"No. I spoke with Strauss earlier this morning and...and said I can have my job back if I seek medical help weekly and monthly." You expected him to be happy for you, but his gaze was anything but that.

"You can't go back to work. You won't."

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

Hey Peaches,

If you saw my board...you'll know uh...y'all ain't leaving this book alive. My goal is to crush souls.

Don't forget to comment and vote and I'll see you in the next chapter!

~ Brook ❤