chapter thirty

"Gas stations"

"Gas stations"

The sun shines bright on the high field of grasses. It shimmers and ripples into a pattern of calmness, while my bare feet take one step at a time on the path. And straight ahead, a few feet away I see a graceful woman looking at the sky's beautiful colors. Her white lacy dress flows with the wind.

She enchants me like a child's desire for curiosity. I am enthralled by her each time I get closer to her. My hand makes way to tap her shoulder, and when she turns around I am lost for words.

Dae.

Her straight brown hair whips to the side as I see her doe eyes and heart shaped smile shining at me. "Hello Soomin." She starts. "Long time no see" she chuckles at her sarcasm. However, I can't help but cringe to the dark humor that enlaces it.

I can't help but stare at her beauty. She seems to be in peace, but I can't help but let tears fall from my eyes as I am reminded of her death. Her fingers delicately wipe my face. "There's no reason to cry Soo, I'm happy." She gleams expecting me to respond but I give her nothing. She decides to give me a warm embrace. Her hot breath tickles me as she whispers, "Guess what? I got to meet my family again. It was wonderful." Her arms push me back to look at her "I know you're mad at yourself for letting me sacrifice myself but I promise it was meant to be. I was meant to be a side character in your story. To bring a message that you will loose people on this great journey to defeat evil."

My eyes swell at her words. "But what do I tell the others?" I cry.

"You tell them the truth." A dainty smile plays on her lips. "I promise, I am so happy! I'm at peace. That's all I ever wanted." She pauses and captures me in another strong embrace. "Thank you."

The colors of nature soon begin to fade to darkness. As those two words continue to ring in my ears. Until my body launches up screaming 'Dae' as I see the inside of the van once again.

Everyone besides Lia who is driving stares at me in concern.

"Are you okay?" Jungkook questions.

I swallow harshly, nodding.

"Why did you say Dae in your sleep?" Tzuyu asks.

Before I could even respond, Taehyung speaks his thoughts out loud. "Wait, where even is Dae?"

Jungkook looks at me with sympathy as he tries to understand the shock of horror in my eyes. However, there is no reason to understand. He already knows.

My sliver necklace begins to burn my skin like I'm some fantasy creature in my children's books. I can't help but laugh,
Maybe I am at this point.