Chapter 58- And There Was Jack's Kiss

ANNALISE
*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hazalen and I arrived to school the next day in our formal gowns. Not to forget Henry, who decided to wear his flashiest suit which almost blinded you in the light. Arms crossed with eachother, we stormed into Mettling High.

It seemed we had made a reputation of ourselves during the extended break. All eyes gave us second looks while we walked by, as if we were the King's guards of some sort.

"Smile and wave girls, smile and wave." Henry whispered to us, arriving to my homeroom.

"At this point I'm used to it," I replied, recalling the Blackberry ball. I figured out that walking down a grand staircase with hundreds of royals staring at you was quite harder than a school.

"Well some of us relish in it, so don't patronize me." Henry readjusted his reflective handkerchief. I blinked away, the light catching my eye at a certain angle.

"Henry you are going to hurt somebody." Hazalen laughed, the picnic basket in her hand shaking.

Oh- that's right.

We were having a back-to-school picnic with the crew this afternoon. Hazalen had to be nervous knowing that Landon was invited, and this was her best chance to break the ice. After finding out Landon's situation, Hazalen found sympathy for her lover. If that had happened to Damien I would've felt the exact same.

"Hey, sweetheart." Damien came up behind me, kissing my cheek while still grasping his back-pack straps. I immediately felt stares, quick glances in my direction- whispers already forming.

This was going to be a long day.

"What did you have for breakfast? My father called for a meeting, so I left before you woke up." He exclaimed, placing a relaxed hand around my waist.

I could tell his father had been pestering him more frequently, as if the Annual Targle Event exhausted him. The Bendlar Clan had been dealt with and he finally wanted to be done ruling Deltora. After loosing your soulmate, watching over a Kingdom must've been hard taking the weight alone.

Sometimes a warm bed was the best thing to turn to at the end of the day.

"Maria made me some of her 'gritz' and some toast. How about you?" We walked into homeroom, completely ignoring the stares.

"Don't let them have power over you, sweetheart."

"I was too full after last night," he purposefully coughed, shoving his face into his elbow. I shoved him playfully- he didn't move an inch and I bounced back into a desk. He laughed at me, giving a sultry wink.

Veronica and Isabelle sat in the corner of the room, eyeing us with distaste. Yet Isabelle didn't hold such hatred in her eyes as she did once before, glancing away to continue her gossip. Veronica held her stare at Damien, eyeing him like a piece of meat. She was obviously jealous that our relationship had matured.

I decided to sit on the desk, my legs open for Damien to stand in-between. I leaned up, placing a lingering kiss on his soft lips. He gave me a questioning stare, noticing my gaze at them.

"Are you worried about them?"

I actually laughed,"Worried? They are the most insignificant part of my life right now. I am glad they can see I will do as I please, with you by my side."

His hands drifted along my thighs dangerously,"I love how confident you have become. You used to not even be able to look in my direction, and look at us now."

"You bring out the best in me."

"I try." He smiled down at me, holding my eyes in a gaze. We couldn't look away from eachother, locked in our own world as conversion faded out.